Wilton Crescent was laid out in 1827 as part of the new Grosvenor Estate, built on the lands of the Duke of Westminster. The buildings on the north side were refaced with stone in the early 1900s, making them look different from the stuccoed terraces which are a characteristic feature of the rest of the estate.
On the left, No. 2 was home from 1959 to 1968 to Lord and Lady Mountbatten of Burma, who were the last Viceroy and Vicerine of India and together oversaw the end of British rule in 1947. Lady Mountbatten (1901-1960), whose life had been dedicated to public service, did not live long after they came to this address. Worn out by work with the St John Ambulance Brigade, Save The Children and some hundred other organisations, she died in 1960. She was buried off Portsmouth with full naval honours, escorted by a warship, sent by India's first prime minister, Nehru.