This striking garden is next to London's Guildhall, which has been the centre of City government since the Middle Ages. During the Roman period, an amphitheatre, the largest in Britannia, was located on this site (its remains may be seen in the basement of the Guildhall Art Gallery). The garden is a spacious rectangular site with interesting shrub and herbaceous planting. It contains the footings of the 1437 church of St Mary Aldermanbury, along with a large willow basket planter and a bust of Shakespeare. Benches and other sculptures make this garden a pleasant spot to sit and rest.