Edward III's small palace was built in 1353, costing £1200. It survived partly through avoiding being subsumed into the network of docks to its east. It was excavated in 1985, revealing two courtyards and a moat. It was known as the ‘paradise’, referring to its walled pleasure gardens where exotic fruits were grown. The name Paradise Street recalls this name. The King's Stairs which survive today mark the landing stage where the royal party disembarked to visit the palace.