The park is named after Normand House, built in 1649, one of many villas in the area. It served as an asylum for people with mental illness, a school and a convent. The house was demolished after being bombed in WW2. The high wall at the back of the park, along Normand Road, is what remains of the old villa garden wall. The park was laid out by the London County Council in 1952, providing valuable open space in an area of dense housing. A regeneration scheme, including new landscaping by Kinnear Landscape Architects, was completed in 2008. There is a leisure centre with café and accessible toilets.