This small but delightful garden was originally laid out in 1887 on the site of a derelict paper factory by Octavia Hill, the Victorian philanthropist and co-founder of the National Trust as ‘an open-air sitting-room’ for the people of Southwark. In its heyday it was the scene of the annual Southwark flower show and many concerts and fêtes.
Bankside Open Spaces Trust worked with many supporters to restore the original layout of this delightful Victorian garden. The project included the re-creation of the pond with bridge and fountain, new flowerbeds, lawns and benches, and a small information centre and gardener’s office.
The garden is laid out in front of Octavia Hill's model dwellings and community hall (private), both integral to her vision for the local community.
The garden won a Gold Award in Southwark in Bloom 2010 and a Green Flag Community Award 2011-12.