Ennismore Gardens was built on the site of the former paddocks and gardens of Kingston House built in 1770. Named after William Hare, Viscount Ennismore and Earl of Listowel, in former times the gardens stretched the whole length of Prince's Gate. The Victorian garden was planted in 1870 and since the 1980s has been extensively restored and replanted. The garden has a central lawn edged with serpentine paths and dense shrubberies, and is enclosed on 3 sides by cast-iron railings, punctuated by 3 pairs of C19th Portland stone gate piers and four C19th corner piers. An ornamental urn commemorates actress Ava Gardner, who lived here.