London Parks & Gardens Trust
The Jubilee Walkway - Western Loop
Leave the garden of 2 Cannon Street in the direction of St Paul's Cathedral and cross New Change. The Festival Gardens are on the corner of New Change and the street called St Paul's Churchyard.
The Festival Gardens were laid out in 1951 by Sir Albert Richardson, following the ground plan of pre-war buildings. They were the Corporation of London's contribution to the Festival of Britain. The site was formerly that of Old Change, a street dating from 1293. The formal layout consists of a sunken lawn with wall fountain, which was a gift of the Worshipful Company of Gardeners. This lawn is surrounded by a raised paved terrace with stone parapets and seating, planting in tubs and a number of trees including a pleached lime hedge and a fine catalpa. The gardens were extended westwards around the south side of the cathedral in April 2012, occupying the site of the former coach park. The garden offers an excellent view of St. Paul's Cathedral.