Continue along Trinity Street, turn right into Swan Street and continue to Great Dover Street. Turn left and either return to Borough underground station, or cross into Long Lane. Turn left behind St George-the-Martyr church into Tabard Street and cross over into St George's Gardens.
Return to Tabard Street and walk to the front of the church. Cross the road to return to Borough underground station.
The 18th-century church is often referred to as Little Dorrit's Church because Dickens' character was baptized and married here (see Little Dorrit Children's Playground, above). Her kneeling figure can be seen in the stained glass east window. The churchyard was opened as a public garden by Southwark Metropolitan Borough Council in 1882. In 1903, when Tabard Street was extended to Borough High Street, part of the churchyard was lost. The detached portion of the former churchyard, across Tabard Street, is now called St George's Gardens. The site of the old Marshalsea Prison, marked by an Historic Southwark plaque, is beyond the far wall. There is a fine spring show of bulbs under the huge London plane trees, and two beds planted with decorative box and a mix of perennials.