Walk to the right, keeping the lake on your left. On the right is what remains of Winchmore Hill Wood, preserved by Southgate Urban District Council in 1913, when much of the estate was sold for housing development. Continue around the lake, past Grovelands House on the right and a small golf course on the left, to exit into The Bourne. Cross the road, turn left and take the first right, marked Ridgeway, bearing immediately right into Greenway. Walk up the road and turn right into Meadway. The ‘Tudorbethan’ houses of the Meadway estate were built in the late 1920s by Edmondson, once of the largest builders in the area. At the end of the road, turn left into High Street and continue to Southgate Green. Ye Olde Cherry Tree Inn is a former Georgian coaching inn (wheelchair access to the rear via The Mall and accessible toilets).
Southgate Green marks the old village green of the hamlet of Southgate, named because of its position as the main southern entrance to Enfield Chase. The old wooden stocks are displayed on the green near the horse trough.