Turning left outside the church, continue along Waterfall Road to a gate in the wall on the right which leads to Minchenden Oak Garden. There are four shallow steps down into the garden, and the paving surface is uneven (not wheelchair-friendly).
This garden was once part of the Minchenden Estate, one of the great estates in the area, owned by the Duke of Chandos. Minchenden House, which stood on the south side of Southgate Green, was demolished in 1853 by the Walker family, and the grounds incorporated into the Arnos Grove Estate. A relic of the grounds of Minchenden House remains today in the form of the Minchenden or Chandos Oak, an ancient pollarded oak tree more than 800 years old. Thought to be a survivor of the ancient Forest of Middlesex, it was reputed in the 19th century to be the largest in England with a girth of over 27 feet. Minchenden Oak Garden was created by Southgate Borough Council as an evergreen Garden of Remembrance and opened in 1934.