Liberal Jewish Cemetery (Brent)
The Liberal Jewish Synagogue was founded in 1911, and opened this cemetery in 1914 as the Liberal Jewish and Belsize Square Cemetery. At the entrance are iron gates on brick piers and a brick lodge, now the Cemetery Keeper's house, has a roadway leading to the plain red brick chapel in front of which is a circular War Memorial surrounded by curving paths. There is good planting within the cemetery, privet hedges, lawns and shrubbery beds, and a Holocaust Memorial.
- Previous / Other name:
- Liberal Jewish & Belsize Square Cemetery
- Site location:
- Pound Lane, Harlesden Road, Willesden
- NW10 2HG
- What 3 Words:
- Type of site:
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Mon-Fri 9am - 5pm, Sun and Bank Holidays 9am-4pm (closed Sats, Jewish holidays and 25 December)
- Special conditions:
- Public transport:
- Tube: Dollis Hill (Jubilee). London Overground/Tube (Bakerloo) Harlesden then bus. Bus: 6, 52, 98.
- Research updated:
- Last minor changes:
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.ljs.org/cemetery.php
Full Site Description
The Union of Liberal and Progressive Synagogues was established in 1910 by the Jewish Religious Union and the cemetery was opened in 1914 as the Liberal Jewish and Belsize Square Cemetery. At the entrance are iron gates on brick piers and a brick lodge now the Cemetery Keeper's house with roadway leading to the plain red brick chapel before which is a circular war memorial surrounded by curving paths. Between the lodge and chapel are Portland stone gate piers and fragments of wall suggesting this was once the original entrance of the cemetery, which has therefore been extended. There is good planting within the cemetery, privet hedges, lawns and shrubbery beds, and a Holocaust Memorial.
Liberal Jewish Synagogue website
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- TQ223842 (522290,184156)
- Size in hectares:
- Site ownership:
- Liberal Jewish Synagogue
- Site management:
- Liberal Jewish Synagogue
- Listed structures:
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Yes - Borough Importance II - see note
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Other LA designation:
- Nature Conservation Area: with Roundwood Park/Willisden New Cemetery/Jewish Cemetery
Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.