All Saints' Churchyard (Bromley)
Orpington Parish Church of All Saints is a small medieval church mentioned in the Domesday Survey, endowed by the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1173. The oldest parts of the building have some Saxon remains including a Saxon sundial in the south wall. A much larger building was added to the south in the 1950s. The burial ground now extends around the church and to additional land across Ramsden Road where there is a Memorial Garden, Canadian Corner and Orpington War Memorial.
- Previous / Other name:
- Orpington Parish Church
- Site location:
- Bark Hart Road / Ramsden Road, Orpington
- BR6 0QD
- Type of site:
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Special conditions:
- Public transport:
- Rail: Orpington c1km to west. Bus: 17, 18, 51, 61, 208, 358, R1, R3, R4, R7, R11.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2015
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.allsaintsorpington.org.uk
Full Site Description
The north tower and west doorway of All Saints Church were partly rebuilt in c.1200. The west porch was built by a rector called Nicholas who died in 1370 and wished to be buried here marked by his tomb. The exterior of the tower was rebuilt in brick and flint in the late C18th following damage by a storm in 1771; the steeple was later struck by lightning in 1809 and not replaced. A much larger building was added to the south in the 1950s to designs by Geddes Hyslop dwarfing the old church.
Kent Archaeological Society has a transcription of monumental inscriptions in the churchyard noted by Leland L. Duncan in September 1919 plus a copy of his sketch plan of their locations in the churchyard. The churchyard now extends around the church to additional land where there is a War Memorial, garden of remembrance and Canadian Corner. As part of the war effort during World War I, the Government of Ontario in Canada contributed to the building of Orpington Hospital, where over 26,000 soldiers were treated. Of the 182 soldiers who died, 88 Canadians, 23 British and 5 Australians were buried in an area of the churchyard that became known as Canadian Corner. The Memorial Cross and Sword of Sacrifice in Canadian Corner was unveiled on 28 August 1921 in the presence of the High Commissioner for Canada, the first Canadian Memorial to be unveiled in the UK. Typical of those found in many WWI cemeteries in France and Belgium, the wording inscribed on the Orpington Memorial suggests it may have been among the first to be unveiled outside the old Western Front.
The new churchyard on land known as Newells Meadow has a Memorial Garden that has been extended in recent years, and now has two memorial walls to accommodate stone plaques.
B Cherry & N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 2: South' (1983, reprinted 1999) p188; All Saints' Church website: www.allsaintsorpington.org.uk
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- TQ466663 (546684,166491)
- Size in hectares:
- Site ownership:
- Diocese of Rochester
- Site management:
- C11th onwards
- Listed structures:
- LBII*: All Saints Church
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Conservation Area name:
- Orpington Priory
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Not known
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Yes - Borough Importance II
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Yes - Area of Archaeological Significance
- Other LA designation: