Inventory Site Record

Bertie Almshouses Garden

Bertie Almshouses Garden (Bromley)

Brief Description

Bertie Almshouses were built in 1890 in Arts and Crafts style, at the behest of Mrs Mary Elizabeth Akers of Malling Abbey in memory of her husband Bertie Peter Cator. The small sheltered garden has mature trees, shrubs and back garden now divided in two. A plaque in the porch has the inscription 'AD VSVM PAVPERVM DEI IN MEMORIAM BERTII ET DIANAE MDCCCXC'.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Cator Almshouses
Site location:
31, 31A, 33 Bromley Road, Beckenham
Postcode:
BR3 5NT
Type of site:
Private Garden
Borough:
Bromley
Open to public?
No
Opening times:
private
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Beckenham Junction. Bus: 227, 367

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/01/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Full Site Description

Bertie Almshouses were built in 1890 in Arts and Crafts style, possibly designed by J D Sedding, who exhibited a drawing 'Almshouses Beckenham' at the Royal Academy in 1891, and who lived in West Wickham for a few years. They were built at the behest of Mrs Mary Elizabeth Akers of Malling Abbey in memory of her husband Bertie Peter Cator (c.1836-1875), whose family were prominent Beckenham gentry, Cator was the seventh son of Joseph and Diana Bertie of Clock House. A plaque in the porch has the inscription 'AD VSVM PAVPERVM DEI IN MEMORIAM BERTII ET DIANAE MDCCCXC'. The almshouses were originally owned by her estate and then taken over by London Borough of Bromley, and finally, after reconstruction, by the Beckenham Parochial Charities. They were originally two houses, but were converted horizontally into three flats with 2 downstairs and 1 upstairs. The small sheltered garden has mature trees including ash, holly, small cypressas, prunus cerasifera 'nigra' in the front, shrubs in front and back gardens and 2 box-cut privet hedges and a box hedge in front. The back garden is divided by a wooden fence into two for the downstairs flats. A commemorative bench was placed between the two front doors in the porch in 1982.

Sources consulted:

John Wagstaff & Doris Pullen 'Beckenham: an anthology of Local History' (nd), p21; H R Copeland, 'Village of Old Beckenham' 9nd), p57; Minutes of Beckenham Parochial Charity 1980-2003.

LPGT Volunteer Research by Kristina Taylor, 2006

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ380694 (538130,169370)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
Beckenham Parochial Charities
Site management:
Beckenham Parochial Charities
Date(s):
1890
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
Local list: Almshouses
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Page Top