Inventory Site Record

Bullers Wood School

Bullers Wood School (Bromley)

Brief Description

Bullers Wood School was established in 1930 and occupies the house and grounds of a Victorian house, which was extended for John and Agnes Sanderson in the 1880s. Formal gardens were laid out around the house and the grounds contained fine woodland. The Sandersons continued to live here until 1920. A number of modern buildings have been added over the years to provide school facilities, although the landscape setting is preserved albeit somewhat altered.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Bullers Wood
Site location:
St Nicholas Lane, Logs Hill, Chislehurst
Type of site:
Institutional Grounds
Open to public?
Opening times:
private, although WEA courses open to the public are held at Bullers Wood.
Special conditions:
car park
Public transport:
Rail: Bickley, Elmstead Woods, Chislehurst. Bus:162.

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Full Site Description

The first Bullers Wood House was built in the mid-C19th, a typical mid-Victorian stucco-fronted house; it was situated on a grassy hillside with extensive grounds including fields, woods, several cottages and a small farm. In 1872 it was leased by John Sanderson who had returned to this country to set up a headquarters in London for his large wool exporting company. Sanderson and his wife Agnes had a large family and he commissioned local architect Ernest Newton to extend and redecorate Bullers Wood. William Morris was commissioned to decorate and redesign the interiors. Newton extended the house to the east and west, throwing out bays with mullioned windows, the house then refaced with the present red brick. The vernacular revival style house and stables were completed in 1889 and this date is seen on the terrace gates. Newton also designed formal red brick terraced gardens to harmonise with the appearance of the house. The picturesque garden has formal terraces around the house, sloping lawns and glades between shrubs with many notable specimen trees. To the north-east, steps descend into predominantly oak woodlands, now rather overgrown and obscuring views. This woodland also contains many specimen trees including cypress, yew and Scots pine, and there are rhododendron-lined walks along the contours. The ‘superb’ setting of the house is highlighted by Bridget Cherry in 'The Buildings of England'.

Several of the surviving members of the Sanderson family were scattered round the world after WWI and the family house was sold in 1920 after the death of 'Granny' Agnes Sanderson. The property became Bullers Wood School, which was established in 1930, and the house now contains the school's language college. The drive to Bullers Wood from the main entrance in St Nicholas Lane leads past a late C19th lodge house. Although much altered, the landscape has attractive woodland.

Sources consulted:

B Cherry & N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 2: South' (1983, reprint 1999) p163; Bullers Wood School website:

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ423698 (542523,169853)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Bromley
Site management:
Bullers Wood School
Ernest Newton
Listed structures:
LBII: Bullers Wood House
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:


Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
In Conservation Area:
Tree Preservation Order:
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Borough Importance II
Green Belt:
Metropolitan Open Land:
Special Policy Area:
Other LA designation:
Urban Open Space

Page Top