Inventory Site Record

Jubilee Country Park

Jubilee Country Park (Bromley)

Brief Description

The land here is referred to in the Domesday Book of 1086 in the ownership of the Bishop of Rochester; the Bishops had the right to fell timber in Thornet Wood up until 1845. It was farmed as part of the Bickley Park estate from the late C18th. In 1916 the site became a golf course, managed as West Kent Golf Club until WWII. The land was purchased by Bromley Council in 1977 and named to mark the occasion of the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, opening as Jubilee Country Park in 1981.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
West Kent Golf Club; Thornet Wood
Site location:
Southborough Lane/Blackbrook Lane/Thornet Wood Road
Type of site:
Public Park
Open to public?
Opening times:
Special conditions:
Children's play area; car parks; horse ride; cycle ride; Nature Trail
Public transport:
Rail: Chislehurst, Petts Wood, Bickley. Bus: 162, 208, 269, 273, R2, R3, R7.

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Full Site Description

From 1250-1400 a family by the name of Blackbrook was associated with the area and the C16th some of the land was pasture for sheep and cattle. In 1780 Bickley Hall was built nearby for the Wells family, wealthy shipbuilders from Deptford who rented and sublet fields for arable or pasture until John Wells was declared bankrupt in 1841. The 1st edition OS Map of 1871, Kent, Sheet XVI shows the area as farmland. During the war an army base with anti-aircraft guns was sited in the north-east of the site and the club house was destroyed by a parachute mine in 1940. In 1916 the developer of the Bickley Park Estate turned the site into a golf course, managed as West Kent Golf Club until WWII, which attracted top golfers. Following the war the land was let for grazing, housing development threatened the site in 1968 and 1973, but Petts Wood Residents Association mounted a campaign and, following a public enquiry in 1974, the land was purchased by London Borough of Bromley in 1977 and named to mark the occasion of the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. Jubilee Country Park was officially opened as a country park in 1981. The park is made up of nearly 25 hectares of mixed woodlands, meadowland, hedges and scrub. Thornet Wood, an ancient woodland, is included in the site. In 1996 the site was declared a local nature reserve. It is linked with other areas of countryside including Petts Wood (q.v.) and Scadbury Park (q.v.). The London Loop runs across the south-east part of the site.

Sources consulted:

Andrew Crowe, 'The Parks and Woodlands of London' (Fourth Estate, 1987); An A to Z of Bromley's Parks, Local Open Space & Woodlands, LB Bromley, 2007?; Jubilee Nature Trail leaflet.Jennie Randall, 'Jubilee Country Park, Its History and Heritage (Friends of Jubilee Country Park, 2012)

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ435680 (543502,167881)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Bromley
Site management:
Leisure and Community Services
Listed structures:
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:


Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
In Conservation Area:
Tree Preservation Order:
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Metropolitan Importance
Green Belt:
Metropolitan Open Land:
Special Policy Area:
Other LA designation:
Local Nature Reserve

Page Top