Inventory Site Record

Kingswood Glen

Kingswood Glen (Bromley)

Brief Description

Kingswood Glen is an area of woodland containing four ponds that was bequeathed to Beckenham Council in 1962 by its owners, two sisters, who stipulated it should be preserved and protected. Research undertaken over the years has established that the land had remained unchanged for up to 800 years and may once have been the site of an Anglo-Saxon hill fort, the ponds believed to be fire pits. Tree and plant species suggest it is ancient woodland and the park is designated as an important site for nature conservation.

Practical Information
Site location:
South Hill Road/ Kingswood Avenue, Shortlands
Postcode:
BR2 0RL
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Bromley
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Train: Bromley South. Bus: 138, 162

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2017
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bromley.gov.uk

Full Site Description

The land here was enclosed as part of a large property known as Romanhurst, later demolished for housing development to become Romanhurst Avenue. The woodland was acquired by two sisters, Edith and Winifred Jay and it became part of their property at No. 41 South Hill Road. They gifted it to the Borough of Beckenham in 1962 with the proviso that it should remain undeveloped and public open space. Local school teacher and historian Len Hevey instigated research of the plants at Kingswood Glen by a plant physiologist at King's College, which revealed that the land was little changed over many centuries. These findings supported an earlier study carried out in the 1800s, which had suggested that the land was once an Anglo-Saxon hill fort, and the ponds were thought to be fire pits. In 1980 pollen analysis concluded that the land may have been undisturbed for up to 800 years. Trees and plants on the site are indicators of ancient woodland and a Great Crested Newt was found in one of the ponds in recent years.

The Friends of South Hill Wood and Kingswood Glen were set up in 2009 to protect and develop their local green spaces. The Group has undertaken improvement projects, including new paths, planting and other works to conserve the woodland here as well as nearby South Hill Wood (q.v.).

Sources consulted:

Friends of South Hill Wood and Kingswood Glen; Gordon Barrett & Douglas Cooper, 'A history of South Hill Wood Bowling Club, in celebration of the 40th Anniversary 1958-98 '

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ392681 (539254,168178)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Bromley
Site management:
Bromley Parks Department; Friends of South Hill Wood and Kingswood Glen
Date(s):
ancient woodland
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Borough Importance II
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Urban Open Space
Photos

Kingswood Glen

Kingswood Glen, March 2017. Photograph Sally Williams

Click photo to enlarge.

Click a photo to enlarge.

Page Top