Inventory Site Record

Petts Wood

Petts Wood (Bromley)

Brief Description

Petts Wood is named after the Pett family of shipbuilders who are believed to have owned the wood in the C16th. It is technically two properties, Willett Wood to the east and Edlmann Wood to the west. In 1925 part of the wood was saved from housing development by a local campaign and opened to the public in 1927, with a memorial to William Willett. In 1927 Francis Edlmann purchased the remaining land as an extension to his Hawkwood estate. Following his death in 1950 it was eventually purchased and given as a gift to the National Trust, and opened in April 1958.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Hawkwood Estate
Site location:
St Paul’s Cray Road, Orpington
Postcode:
BR7 6QU
Type of site:
Public Open Land
Borough:
Bromley
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Petts Wood; St Mary’s Cray. Bus: 61, 273

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2015
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.bromley.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Willett Wood was purchased in 1927 as a memorial to William Willett, a resident of Chislehurst, who pioneered daylight saving. He died in 1927, the year before daylight saving was introduced. In 1925 Petts Wood was about to be sold for housing development and Chislehurst residents launched an appeal to save it. Around 23.5 hectares of woodland were purchased and ceremoniously opened in 1927 with the unveiling of a 2.5 ton granite sundial as a memorial to William Willett, at the north end of the wood. However more funds were needed to purchase the remaining 19ha. In 1927 Francis Edlmann purchased the remaining land as an extension to his Hawkwood estate. When he died in 1950, his executors attempted to sell the entire estate for development. It was eventually bought by Francesca and Robert Hall, keen local conservationists who handed it as a gift to the National Trust. At the opening ceremony in April 1958, a second granite monolith, the Edlmann memorial stone, was unveiled.

Petts Wood is a large area of woodland and like neighbouring Scadbury Park Wood (q.v.) the woodland is crossed by a number of waymarked footpaths and bridle paths. The woodland includes silver birch, oak, chestnut, some fine beech trees, glades and young copses. Car parking is largely on adjoining streets with larger parking areas near Scadbury Park Wood.

Sources consulted:

Andrew Crowe, 'The Parks and Woodlands of London', (Fourth Estate, 1987) p214-215' Peter Waymark, 'A History of Petts Wood' (Petts Wood and District Residents' Association, 2000)

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ450690 (544449,168920)
Size in hectares:
c.100
Site ownership:
LB Bromley/National Trust
Site management:
Petts Wood Management Committee
Date(s):
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Metropolitan Importance
Green Belt:
Yes
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Page Top