fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Chalcot Square Gardens (Camden)

Brief Description

Chalcot Square, called St George's Square until 1937, was laid out between 1849-60 around a central garden enclosure. The name Chalcot recalls a farm of that name in the area from the C13th. The central garden was owned and maintained by the Trustees of the Broder Estate for the benefit of tenants of the square. It is now publicly accessible. Little changed since the original layout, the square today has children's play equipment in one corner.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
St George's Square
Site location:
Chalcot Square
Postcode:
NW1
What 3 Words:
flat.occupy.patio
Type of site:
Garden Square;, Public Gardens
Borough:
Camden
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
7.30am - dusk
Special conditions:
Facilities:
playground
Events:
Public transport:
London Overground: Camden Road. Tube: Chalk Farm (Northern). Bus: 274 (walk)
Research updated:
01/07/2009
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.camden.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Chalcot Square, called St George's Square until 1937 when the London County Council altered street names where they were duplicated elsewhere, was laid out from mid-C19th, with Nos 8-11 built in 1849 and the west terrace in 1855-60. Chalcot recalls a farm of that name in the area from the C13th. The central garden was owned and maintained by the Trustees of the Broder Estate who employed a gardener to keep it in good order for the benefit of tenants of the square. In 1928 it was described as 'an enclosure, almost square in shape, surrounded by a sparse hedge. Maintained as a grass plot, with some well-grown trees'. It is now publicly accessible, a rectangular area enclosed by C19th railings with grass and a few trees, including acacia, which were popular in the 1850s. Little changed since the original layout, the square today has children's play equipment in one corner, and the central circular area with hedges encloses bench seats.

Sources consulted:

Peter Woodford ed. 'From Primrose Hill to Euston Road', Camden History Society, 1995; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ280840 (528029,184082)
Size in hectares:
0.1713
Site ownership:
LB Camden
Site management:
Parks & Open Spaces
Date(s):
1855-60
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: Nos. 1-11, 12, 13, 14, 15-19, 20-28, 29-33, 33A Chalcot Square & attached railings
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

Yes

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Primrose Hill
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
Other LA designation:
Public Open Space (Small Local)
Photos

Chalcot Square Gardens

Chalcot Square Gardens, August 2002. Photo: S Williams

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.