fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Cumberland Market (Camden)

Brief Description

The market was originally planned by John Nash in the 1820s as a third market for hay to serve Regent's Park. In 1834 it was known as Regent's Park Haymarket, and the modern plan preserves the outlines of this layout. It was established close to the Cumberland Basin, which was fed by an arm of Regent's Canal but eventually infilled in 1942/3. Cumberland Market Playground opened to the public in 1923. The market closed in 1926; an ice-house beneath was filled in during the 1930s. Now overlooked by modern low-rise council blocks and the Crown Estate's Windsor House, the gardens have been refurbished and part of the cobbled surfaces of the former market restored.

Practical Information
Site location:
Regents Park Estate, Cumberland Market
Postcode:
NW1
What 3 Words:
trial.middle.asleep
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Borough:
Camden
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
7.30am - dusk
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Playground, sports pitch
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Great Portland Street (Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City, Circle). Rail/London Overground/Tube (Northern/Victoria): Euston. Bus: C2, 24, 27, 29, 134, 135.
Research updated:
01/07/2002
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.camden.gov.uk

Full Site Description

A square enclosure surrounded by modern railings, with a few mature London planes, divided up into a landscaped area and recreation areas, one end built over with single storey brick cabins. The site was originally planned by John Nash in the 1820s as a third market for hay to serve the Regent's Park Estate, close to the Cumberland canal basin. An arm of Regent's Canal was constructed 1813-16 from the west of Regent's Park and Albany Street to end in the basin at Cumberland Market. Gloucester Gate Bridge was built over the Cumberland Basin arm in 1877 but the basin was infilled in 1942/3. In 1834 it was known as Regent's Park Haymarket, and the modern plan preserves the outlines of this layout. Cumberland Market Playground opened to the public in 1923 and the market closed in 1926; an ice-house beneath the market, supplied by boat from Norway, was filled in during the 1930s. Now overlooked by modern low-rise council blocks and the Crown Estate's Windsor House of c.1940 with a pleasant front garden, aligned on its north-south axis. The gardens have been refurbished and part of the cobbled surfaces of the former market restored, with new playground equipment also provided.

Sources consulted:

Survey of London; A Cooper ed. 'Primrose Hill to Euston Road, A Survey of Streets of West Camden', Camden History Society, 1981

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ289827 (528940,182792)
Size in hectares:
0.5771
Site ownership:
LB Camden
Site management:
Parks & Open Spaces
Date(s):
C19th
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
Yes
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Public Open Space (Small Local). Playground is Private Open Space
Photos

Cumberland Market

Cumberland Market, July 2002. Photo: S Williams

Cumberland Market, July 2002. Photo: S Williams
2002
Charles Gerrand (?),Cumberland Market, painting, 1920.  Courtesy of Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre.
1920
Robert Bevan, 'Hay Carts', painting, 1915.  Courtesy of Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre
1915
Cumberland Market: View to north with wagons loaded with hay, photograph 1904.  Courtesy of Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre.
1904
Cumberland Market, photograph, 1885.  Courtesy of Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre.
1885

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.