fbpx

Inventory Site Record

The Green, Flask Walk (Camden)

Brief Description

Hampstead's former village green at the end of Flask Walk was once larger, but today is a small area of grass with a number of trees. In 1712 it was the site for the first Fair recorded taking place in Hampstead, and there were once village stocks and a Watchman's hut with 2 cells. The Wells and Campden Baths and Wash Houses built in 1888 can still be seen facing the Green, the site chosen for its proximity to the original Chalybeate spring on Well Walk. By the early C20th the Green was owned and maintained by Hampstead Borough Council.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Flask Walk
Site location:
Flask Walk
Postcode:
NW3
What 3 Words:
prom.chat.flags
Type of site:
Public Open Land
Borough:
Camden
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Hampstead (Northern). London Overground: Hampstead Heath. Bus: 210, 268, 46, C11, 24, 168.
Research updated:
01/05/2009
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.camden.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Former village green at the end of Flask Walk, with grass and a number of trees, and with two Type K6 telephone kiosks, designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935, fabricated by W MacFarlane of Glasgow. The Green was once larger in extent and in 1712 was the site for the first Fair recorded as taking place in Hampstead. There used to be village stocks and a Watchman's Hut with 2 cells, but these no longer exist. Facing the Green is the former Wells and Campden Baths and Wash Houses built in 1888 by Henry S Legg, but since c.1985 private housing. The Wells and Campden Charity was a major local landowner, and the site was chosen for its proximity to the original Chalybeate spring on Well Walk. In 1882 Henry Legg also erected the well and drinking fountain on Well Walk, which has the inscription: 'To the memory of the Hon. Susanna Noel who with her son Baptist 3rd Earl of Gainsborough gave this well together with 6 acres of land to the use and benefit of the poor of Hampstead 20 December 1698. Drink traveller and with strength renewed Let a kind thought be given To her who has thy thirst subdued Then tender thanks to Heaven.' In the early C18th Hampstead became famous for its chalybeate waters, and the original spa building was opposite the drinking fountain. By the early C20th the Green was owned and maintained by Hampstead Borough Council.

Sources consulted:

Camden Listed Buildings website; Christopher Wade, 'The Streets of Hampstead', Camden History Society, 1972, 2nd ed. 1984.

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ265859 (526565,185877)
Size in hectares:
0.039
Site ownership:
LB Camden
Site management:
Parks & Open Spaces
Date(s):
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: two telephone kiosks; The Wells and Campden Baths and Wash Houses
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

Yes

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Hampstead Village
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
Yes - Area of Special Character: Hampstead & Highgate Ridge
Other LA designation:
Public Open Space (Small Local). London Squares Preservation Act of 1931

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.