Inventory Site Record

St Martin Outwich Churchyard (City of London)

Brief Description

The parish of St Martin Outwich dates from c.1196, with a church first mentioned in 1217, erected at the cost of the Oteswich family, hence its name. In 1385 it was vested in the Merchant Taylors' Company. The church escaped the Great Fire of 1666 but was destroyed by a fire in 1765. Although the church was rebuilt in 1796-98, it was later demolished in 1874, after the parish was united with that of St Helen Bishopsgate in 1872. The churchyard was separate from the church on a site in Camomile Street, presented by Robert Hide in 1538, now marked by a raised shrub bed.

Practical Information
Site location:
Camomile Street
Postcode:
EC3A 6DQ
Type of site:
Other
Borough:
City of London
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Liverpool Street (Central, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan, Circle). Rail: Liverpool Street.
Research updated:
01/01/2016

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/openspaces

Full Site Description

The parish of St Martin Outwich dates from c.1196, with a church first mentioned in 1217, erected in Bishopsgate Street at the cost of the Oteswich family, hence its name. In 1385 it was vested in the Merchant Taylors' Company, presented by John Churchman acting as trustee of William and John Oteswich, whose alabaster effigy is now in St Helen Bishopsgate (q.v.), as is the tomb of Hugh Pemberton both originally in St Martin's. The church escaped the Great Fire of 1666 but was destroyed by a fire in the area in 1765 after which, in 1796-98, it was rebuilt, the architect being S P Cockerell, and the new church was consecrated in 1798 by the Bishop of London. Repaired by Sir Charles Barry in 1822-28, it was demolished in 1874 the parish having united with that of St Helen Bishopsgate in 1872. The churchyard was separate from the church on a site in Camomile Street, presented by Robert Hide in 1538, today its site is marked by a raised shrub bed with plaque recording the church. The site of the church itself is near St Helen's Bishopsgate.

Sources consulted:

Simon Bradley & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 1: The City of London', 1997 (1999 ed.); George Godwin & John Britton 'The Churches of London: A history and description of the Ecclesiastical Edifices of the Metropolis, Volume II', London, 1839; London Diocesan Advisory Committee for the Care of Churches data

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ332813 (533295,181400)
Size in hectares:
0.0103
Site ownership:
City of London Corporation
Site management:
Open Spaces Dept.
Date(s):
medieval; 1538
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None
Photos

St Martin Outwich Churchyard

Planter marking the site of St Martin Outwich Church, October 2002. Photo: S Williams

Engraving of St Martin's Outwich, c1839 reproduced from Godwin, 'The Churches of London' Vol II, 1839
1839

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and is subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.