Inventory Site Record

Beaulieu Heights (Croydon)

Brief Description

Beaulieu Heights is on woodland that was once part of the Great North Wood before it formed the grounds of two large houses, Hazelwood and Beaulieu Lodge. Much of the land in the area was owned by the Archbishops of Canterbury. A map of 1870 shows woodland at that time of a very similar extent to that in the area today. Croydon Council purchased Hazelwood and Beaulieu Lodge from the Church Commissioners in 1938 and the park was opened to the public after WWII.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Hazelwood and Beaulieu Lodge
Site location:
South Norwood Hill/Auckland Road/Church Road
SE19 2DT
What 3 Words:
Type of site:
Public Park
Open to public?
Opening times:
8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk
Special conditions:
Toilets adjacent to park entrance in Church Road
Public transport:
Bus: 468
Research updated:
Last minor changes:

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.croydon.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Beaulieu Heights is set on a slope that runs from Church Road to Auckland Rise. The woodland was part of the Great North Wood but more recently the grounds of two large houses, Hazelwood and Beaulieu Lodge. Thomas Bainbridge’s map of Croydon in 1800 shows the area in the ownership of the Archbishop of Canterbury and the 1870 map shows the woodland of very similar extent to today’s area. The same map shows Beaulieu Mansion and gardens, which are still in private use. The Mansion, which is now an old people’s home, served as a hotel for many years. Hazelwood was built in considerable splendour in c.1860 by a Dr Butter, who had returned, evidently with some wealth, after a career in India. According to an estate agent's brochure of 1878 the gardens of Hazelwood were laid out under the supervision of Sir Joseph Paxton, and included an attractive lithographed view and quite detailed plans of the house and the garden. Although confirmation of Paxton's involvement is yet to come, it is quite possible that Dr Butter might have consulted him, since the site is about a mile from Paxton's home, Rockhills, next to the Crystal Palace.

Croydon Council purchased Hazelwood and Beaulieu Lodge from the Church Commissioners in 1938 and it was opened to the public after WWII. A fire in 1976 destroyed much of the oak woodland, although recolonisation by plants and animals has recommenced. A traditional old walled garden was once situated here, outside the area of the current park.

Sources consulted:

Winterman, M A, Croydon's parks: an illustrated history (LB Croydon, 1988) p 12; 1995 Inventory. Information from Anthony Ashby; LB Croydon, 'Local List of Historic Parks & Gardens', December 2008

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ334695 (533356,169572)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Croydon
Site management:
Parks and Open Spaces
Mid C19; 1938
Listed structures:
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:


Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
In Conservation Area:
Conservation Area name:
Church Road, Upper Norwood
Tree Preservation Order:
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Borough Importance II
Green Belt:
Metropolitan Open Land:
Special Policy Area:
Other LA designation:
Local Open Land

Beaulieu Heights

Beaulieu-Heights - Photo: Candy-Blackman

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.