fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Manchester Gardens (Haringey)

Brief Description

The site was made public property by a deed of gift by Mr T A Mason in February 1925, on the condition that it should be laid out as a garden providing a restful retreat for the aged and infirm. Originally called Seven Sisters Gardens, it was laid out with a central grass plat with a small circular pool at its centre, with seating, perimeter walks, raised mixed borders and a small square pavilion. The garden was later renamed Manchester Gardens. Having become neglected, improvements were undertaken in 2008 and the gardens have been redesigned, although retain a formal layout.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Seven Sisters Gardens
Site location:
Seven Sisters Road/Manchester Road/Heysham Road
Postcode:
N15
What 3 Words:
item.awake.claps
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Borough:
Haringey
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
dawn to dusk
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Stamford Hill/Seven Sisters then bus. Tube: Seven Sisters (Victoria) then bus. Bus: 259, 279.
Research updated:
01/11/2011
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.haringey.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Manchester Gardens is a small rectangular plot to the east of Seven Sisters Road, bounded by Manchester Road to the north and Heysham Road to the south. The garden was the walled garden of a private house, which was made public property by a deed of gift by Mr T A Mason in February 1925, on the condition that it should be laid out as a garden providing a restful retreat for the aged and infirm. It was originally laid out with a central grass plat with a small circular pool at its centre; this was surrounded by perimeter walks in crazy paving, with bays for seats; raised mixed borders with stone retaining walls on each side; a small square pavilion, with pitched roof and two open sides at the north-west corner. The essential structure remained but the pond was later used as a planter, six rose beds were cut into the grass plat, the borders planted with shrubs only and plane trees were inappropriately planted at the lower level of the garden. In 2007 plans were drawn up to redesign park that led to an improvement programme carried out by Haringey Council in partnership with the New Deal for Communities (NDC) in the summer of 2008. The redesigned gardens retain a formal layout, the central focal point now a square wooden pergola with seating. A new ramp provides access to the lower level and a new entrance has been created from Heysham Road. A number of plane trees have been removed as has dense or tall shrubbery in order to aid visibility and safety. Flower beds on the lower borders have been planted to provide scent and colour.

Sources consulted:

One 1926 photo (Fig 1) with caption in Bruce Castle Archives, no source noted.

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ329881 (532910,188190)
Size in hectares:
0.2
Site ownership:
LB Haringey
Site management:
Parks Service (West Green Neighbourhood)
Date(s):
1925; 2008
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
Yes
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.