fbpx

Inventory Site Record

St Luke's Hospital (formerly), now Woodside Square (Haringey)

Brief Description

St Luke's Hospital was founded in 1751 by St Luke's Charity, which played an important role in early treatment of mental health, initially having an asylum in Upper Moorfields, before moving to Old Street. It re-located to the present site in 1927 when the hospital authorities purchased three C19th villas and their gardens on Woodside Avenue. The hospital buildings were sited around a central garden and connected to each other by loggias that traverse the gardens. Later landscaping included a more formal garden in front of the neo-Georgian Administration Block. In 1993 a new Special Needs Unit was built as a result of which some of the shrubberies were lost and trees felled, although some new planting was carried out. In 2011 the NHS Trust responsible for St Luke's, Camden and Islington Foundation Trust, began to close wards, leaving a sole occupational therapy unit open, The site was finally put up for sale.and it has now been redeveloped as a new housing development known as Woodside Square.

Practical Information
Site location:
Woodside Avenue, Muswell Hill
Postcode:
N6
What 3 Words:
deeply.sudden.candy
Type of site:
Housing/Estate Landscaping
Borough:
Haringey
Open to public?
No
Opening times:
private
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Highgate (Northern) then bus. Bus 43, 134.
Research updated:
19/07/2023
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Full Site Description

St Luke's Hospital had been founded by St Luke's Charity as a successor to its asylum in Old Street. The Charity was established in 1750 to provide treatment for 'poor lunatics', initially opening a hospital in Upper Moorfields. A larger purpose-built hospital was constructed on a new site on Old Street in 1782-87 where it remained until 1917, when the site was sold to the Bank of England. This enabled the hospital authorities to purchase three C19th villas and their gardens on Woodside Avenue: Leawood (now called Simmons House), Roseneath and Norton Lees, the latter built in 1875 for silversmith Harry Atkin. Architect T A Pole drew up designs in 1927 for a new Administration Block between Roseneath and Norton Lees, and the three existing houses were adapted for hospital use in 1928-30, Norton Lees becoming a nurses' home. Pole also designed a series of loggias or covered routes that connected the buildings to treatment blocks to the north of the site. The buildings are sited around a central garden with the loggias traversing the gardens. Mature trees, both deciduous and evergreen, survive around the perimeter of the site, although few (if any) are over 100 years old. Rockwork along the driveway to Norton Lees is probably Victorian. Later landscaping included a more formal garden in front of the Administration Block, including an attractive herringbone brick path. In 1993 a new Special Needs Unit was built as a result of which some of the shrubberies were lost and trees felled at the back of Leawood, although some new planting, including silver birch, has been carried out. The new unit consisted of three homes and provided an intensive rehabilitation service catering for 28 people, some of whom were re-located from Friern Hospital in Barnet when that closed, which is now being developed for private housing as Princess Park Manor (q.v.). New loggias in the same style as the earlier ones were incorporated into the architectural scheme. When St Luke's opened at Woodside Avenue, its aims were to treat a small number of 'educated people of slender means' and it initially housed 50 patients. The approach to treatment echoed that of pioneers in mental health such as Henry Maudsley, who founded the Maudsley Hospital in Camberwell. It was later enlarged to 100 beds when it became a teaching hospital in 1948 as part of the Middlesex Hospital's Department of Psychological Medicine. It later came under the Camden and Islington Mental Health and Social Care Trust, now Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust. While parts of the hospital, including the occupational therapy unit, administration office and staff accommodation, remained open, the hospital’s three main acute wards, dining room, Leawood Day hospital and psychiatric intensive care unit closed.

The Board of the Foundation Trust approved a proposal to sell redundant parts of the site in June 2011. Eventually the site was sold and has been redeveloped as Woodside Square, a private housing development.

Sources consulted:

Schwitzer and Gay 1995, p 91. Listed Building information

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ283892 (528320,189270)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
Site management:
Date(s):
C19th; 1913 - 1935; 2017
Designer(s):
T A Pole (bulidings of 1928-30)
Listed structures:
LBII: Administration Block, St Luke's Hospital
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
Yes
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Muswell Hill
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known - ?2,3 or 60 Woodside Ave
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None
Photos

St Luke's Hospital (formerly), now Woodside Square

St Luke's Hospital, Administration Block, October 2000. Photo: S Williams

St Luke's Hospital, Gardens and Loggia, October 2000. Photo: S Williams
2000

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.