Inventory Site Record

West Green Memorial Garden (Haringey)

Brief Description

Settlement here is recorded as early as 1384, and West Greene is marked on a survey of 1619. By the C19th the green had a horse pond and a pump that served the village with water. It was enclosed between 1864-94 and was laid out with curved walks and surrounding iron railings in c.1897, the latter later removed. West Green was redesigned on a geometric plan focusing on the war memorial, erected to commemorate those who died in WWI.

Practical Information
Site location:
Spur Road/Philip Lane/West Green Road
What 3 Words:
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Open to public?
Opening times:
Special conditions:
Public transport:
Tube: Turnpike Lane (Piccadilly) then bus, Seven Sisters (Victoria) then bus. Bus: 230 3341, 41.
Research updated:
Last minor changes:

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.haringey.gov.uk

Full Site Description

West Green Memorial Garden is a level, triangular site at the junction of West Green Road and Philip Lane. Settlement at West Green is recorded as early as 1384, and the site appears as West Greene on the 1619 survey for the Earl of Dorset. In the C19th the Green had a large horse pond by the side of the road, with strong wooden posts and rails on two sides, through which horses could be driven with their carts attached. By 1890 a pump on the Green supplied water for the village from a freshwater spring. Mrs Riddell, a popular novelist of the time, described the area in 1859: 'It was utterly in the country...as though situated a hundred miles from London. The road bordered by wheatfields and meadows. . . 'Enclosed between 1864 and 1894, this former piece of common land was subsequently laid out with curving walks, in all probably c.1897 following F F McKenzie's recommendations to the Tottenham UDC's Parks and Open Spaces Committee of that year. Surrounding iron railings were in place by 1897 but the enclosure round the Green was removed before 1973.

West Green was later redesigned on a geometric plan focusing on the war memorial, which was in situ by 1936, and a simplified and amended version of that layout remains today. The war memorial is a simple, rough hewn granite obelisk with a bronze wreath on the north face and an inscription on the south face commemorating those fallen in the 1914-18 war with their names set in individual bronze letters below. The paths are tarmac, with an area of York stone paving around the memorial. Somewhat unsightly concrete slab 'stepping stones' have been placed along three 'desire lines' across the Green. Planting consists of scattered trees in the turf, mostly small ornamentals, with a mature London plane and a horse chestnut, with three small areas of shrubs.

Sources consulted:

F Fisk 'History of the Ancient Parish of Tottenham' 1923 (Bruce Castle Archive) p58. Robinson 1840. Tottenham UDC 1892-7 p 314

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ326892 (532590,189250)
Size in hectares:
c. 0.2
Site ownership:
LB Haringey
Site management:
Parks Service (West Green Neighbourhood)
late C19/early C20; 1936-1954
Not known
Listed structures:
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:


Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
In Conservation Area:
Tree Preservation Order:
Nature Conservation Area:
Green Belt:
Metropolitan Open Land:
Special Policy Area:
Yes (part) - Part of site falls within area of archaeological importance
Other LA designation:

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.