fbpx

Inventory Site Record

The Old Burial Ground (Hillingdon)

Brief Description

The Old Burial Ground was laid out on the edge of Uxbridge village in 1576, and is now surrounded by busy roads. It closed to burials in 1855 and was made into a public garden. Most of the gravestones were moved to the perimeter with a few chest tombs and gravestones remaining in the grass. A drinking fountain was erected in the garden in 1898, and later a War Memorial,

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Vine Street Memorial Garden
Site location:
Windsor Street, Uxbridge
Postcode:
UB8
What 3 Words:
plant.broad.glow
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Borough:
Hillingdon
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Uxbridge (Piccadilly, Metropolitan)
Research updated:
01/08/2012
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hillingdon.gov.uk

Full Site Description

The Old Burial Ground is 150 yards south-west of St Margaret's, Uxbridge Parish Church, which was laid out on the edge of town on land given in 1576 by Henry, Earl of Darby. The land was then enclosed by Margery Legie, widow and daughter of Thomas Saunders of Uxbridge, in September 1576, 'at her own Cost and Charge'. The entrance gateway was repaired in 1777. The burial ground was closed in 1855 and made into a public garden, this information given on plaques on the gateway. A drinking fountain was erected in the garden in memory to E Pratt d.1898. Less than an acre in size, the site is now dominated by busy roads that surround it. The boundary has a low retaining wall; most of the gravestones have been moved to the perimeter with a few chest tombs and gravestones set into the grass. An asphalt path runs through the garden, partly flanked by flower beds with a war memorial surmounted by a Winged Victory at the junction of paths. C19th and C20th trees include sycamore, ash and horse chestnut. Since 2003 some works have been carried out including planting, paths and seating plus restoration of walls and railings.

Sources consulted:

Information on plaques at entrance

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ054840 (505430,183930)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Hillingdon
Site management:
Green Spaces Team
Date(s):
1576; 1777; 1855
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: Entrance gateway
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.