Inventory Site Record

St Mary's Churchyard, Hayes

St Mary's Churchyard, Hayes (Hillingdon)

Brief Description

There has probably been a church at Hayes since the C9th and St Mary's was at the centre of the old village, near the Manor House. There are remnants of the medieval building although the church was restored in 1873. The churchyard retains its rural character and fields separate it from the main road. Well-planted with ancient yews, lime trees and specimen conifers, particularly at the boundaries, it is maintained with rough grass and wild flowers. There is a good collection of tombs from the C18th as well as old wooden graveboards and a C16th lych gate.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Hayes Parish Church
Site location:
Church Walk, Hayes
Type of site:
Open to public?
Opening times:
Special conditions:
Public transport:
Tube: Uxbridge (Piccadilly, Metropolitan) then bus. Rail: Hayes & Harlington then bus. Bus: 195, H98, 207, 607, 90.

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.;

Full Site Description

St Mary's Church was reputed to have a subterranean passage connecting it to the nearby Hayes Manor House, which was owned until 1543 by the Archbishops of Canterbury and then by Henry VIII. The church of St Mary the Virgin at the centre of the old village has remnants of the medieval building with a late C13th chancel and C15th aisle and west tower, and was restored in 1873 by Sir G G Scott. Monuments in the church date from the C14th. In 1530 the greed of the vicar Henry Gold and his brother Thomas, farmer of the rectory tithes, caused rioting and Henry Gold was later hanged for treason for his support of Elizabeth Barton, 'The Maid of Kent'. John and Charles Wesley are known to have preached here. Among those buried in the churchyard are Alderman Harvey Combe, Lord Mayor of London, and Stephen Storace, composer of light opera who lived in Hayes from 1788-92. Cock-fighting is knowns to have taken place in the churchyard in the mid C18th. Separated by a wall from Barra Hall Park (q.v.), the churchyard is enclosed with a mix of railings and walls, the wall south of the church dating from the C16th or C17th. There is a good collection of tombs from the C18th as well as old wooden graveboards in the churchyard, and its C16th lych-gate, a timber structure with a tiled roof, has been restored.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition) p327; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993);Teresa Farino, Meg Game 'Nature Conservation in Hillingdon' Ecology Handbook 7, London Ecology Unit, 1988

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ097810 (509730,181060)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
Diocese of London
Site management:
LB Hillingdon Cemetery Office (Grounds Maintenance Service)
C13th onwards
Listed structures:
LBII*: St Mary's Church. LBII: lych-gate and wall to south of church
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:


Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
In Conservation Area:
Conservation Area name:
Hayes Village
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Local Importance
Green Belt:
Metropolitan Open Land:
Special Policy Area:
Other LA designation:

Page Top