Inventory Site Record

Woodhall Farm

Woodhall Farm (Harrow)


A Woodhall Farm dates back to at least the C16th, the current building dating from c.1808. The interest of the site is due to its connection with celebrated garden designer and writer John Claudius Loudon. As a young man, Loudon and his father, a farmer, leased the farm in c.1806 and experimented with 'Scotch' farming with a view to publicly demonstrating the success of their methods. His father died shortly after this in 1809 and Loudon left Pinner, although his mother remained here until 1841. The house is now surrounded by suburban housing.

Basic Details
Site location:
25, Woodhall Drive, Pinner
Type of site:
Private Garden
Listed structures:
LBII: Woodhall Farmhouse
Site ownership:
Site management:
Open to public?
Opening times:
Special conditions:
Public transport:
London Overground: Hatch End then bus. Tube: Pinner (Metropolitan) then bus

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/01/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Further Information
Grid ref:
TQ119908 (511981,190866)
Size in hectares:
On EH National Register :
EH grade:
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
In Conservation Area:
Conservation Area name:
Pinnerwood Park Estate
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
Green Belt:
Metropolitan Open Land:
Special Policy Area:
Other LA designation:
Article 4 Direction
Fuller information

The name Woodhall dates back to at least the C16th, but it is unclear whether it was truly a manor. A record of 1631 refers to the transfer to William Pennefather of the manor, mansion and farm of Woodhall, with mills, woods and commonland, and there are also unsubstantiated legends of a monastery and chapel at Woodhall prior to the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Woodhall Farmhouse was enlarged by the Loudons in c.1808 by Robert Abraham, and was probably the site of an older farmhouse. John Claudius Loudon (1783-1843) was celebrated as a garden designer and writer, publishing a number of books in addition to 'The Gardener's Magazine'. Loudon's proposals for Woodhall, which included building model farm buildings north of the farmhouse, are illustrated in his 'Observations on Laying out Farms in the Scotch Style Adapted to England', 1812. Loudon's parents were buried in Pinner Parish Church of St John (q.v.) and Loudon himself was buried at Kensal Green Cemetery (q.v.) in 1843. Many of the new mid-C19th cemeteries were influenced by his pioneering approach, published in his book 'On the laying out, planting and managing of cemeteries' in 1843, which advocated an approach combining the functional with the aesthetic: a grid pattern for ease of locating and maintaining graves, planting of evergreen trees planted as single specimens, so as to avoid problems of dropping leaves and obstructing the space for burials. In London his influence can be seen in Abney Park Cemetery and City of London Cemetery (q.q.v.). He also wrote about the importance of the relationship between house and garden.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed), p289; Melanie Simo ‘John Claudius Loudon on Planning and Design for the Garden Metropolis’ Garden History vol 9, No 2 (1983); Walter W Druett, 'Pinner Through the Ages' (1937, ed. 1980, Ringstead Press)

Page Top