Inventory Site Record

Alwyne Square

Alwyne Square (Islington)

Summary

The garden was the centre of an irregular circle of villas, which were built by 1863 on the Marquess of Northampton's Canonbury Estate. Originally named Canonbury Park Square, it was renamed Alwyne Square in 1879. The central garden was described in 1928 as having a low wall with iron railings, planted with grass, bushes and trees. Following bomb damage in WWII, the square was rebuilt in 1954 by the developers Western Ground Rents, designed by their surveyor Nash, and now consists of small blocks of flats, and rows of terraced houses. Only one of the original houses remains. The garden contains grass, with some mature horse chestnut trees, and is surrounded by modern railings.

Basic Details
Previous / Other name:
Canonbury Park Square
Site location:
Alwyne Square
Postcode:
N1
Type of site:
Garden Square
Date(s):
1857-63; 1954
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
Borough:
Islington
Site ownership:
private
Site management:
Open to public?
No
Opening times:
private (visible from exterior)
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
London Overground: Canonbury. Bus: 30, 277

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Further Information
Grid ref:
TQ321847 (532116,184795)
Size in hectares:
0.081
On EH National Register :
No
EH grade:
None
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Canonbury
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None
Fuller information

In 1837 the builder Charles Hamor Hill had taken the lease of Canonbury Tower from the Marquess of Northampton, with a licence to build three roads in the open land between Hopping Lane, Canonbury Terrace and New River, to have the layout completed by 1845 and the houses completed by 1858. In December 1857 he got permission to build on the land adjacent to Canonbury Park North, one of his new roads. He sold the development to Henry Witten in 1859 who completed Canonbury Park Square in 1863. Its name was changed to Alwyne Square in 1879 probably to avoid confusion with Canonbury Square, Alwyne being one of the Marquess of Northampton's subsidiary family names. Originally there was one entrance from Canonbury Park North.

Sources consulted:

Mary Cosh, The Squares of Islington Part II: Islington Parish, London, 1993; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993)

Page Top