fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Christ Church Highbury with St John and St Saviour (Islington)

Brief Description

The churchyard of Christ Church Highbury is a triangular plot that forms the northern tip of Highbury Fields. Christ Church was built in 1848 by Thomas Allom of Balham, who was later surveyor of the Ladbroke Estate in North Kensington. The site along with £100 was donated by Henry Dawes, a descendent of John Dawes of Highbury Place and Canonbury. The churchyard is laid to grass, with shrubs around the perimeter, and surrounded by reproduction railings dating from c.1980. Trees include notable robinia, horse chestnut and sycamore. Opposite the church is a fine cast iron and granite clock tower, erected in 1897.

Practical Information
Site location:
Highbury Grove, Highbury Barn
Postcode:
N5 1SA
What 3 Words:
rings.rear.pretty
Type of site:
Churchyard
Borough:
Islington
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events in church
Events:
Public transport:
Rail/London Overground/Tube (Victoria): Highbury and Islington. London Overground: Canonbury. Bus: 4, 19, 236
Research updated:
01/04/2012
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.christchurchhighbury.com

Full Site Description

In 1872 the west front of the church was demolished and the building was extended by two bays in the same style as the original. The vicarage and its garden was enclosed at around this time, resulting in the loss of the fine view to the church from Highbury Fields (q.v.). During WWII the church was damaged by bombing, which destroyed the original stained glass. When the parishes of Christ Church, St John's and St Saviour's were amalgamated in the 1980s an extensive programme of repair and re-ordering was carried out, including rebuilding the top of the spire. In 1989 the extension was converted into two storeys of rooms for church and community use.

Sources consulted:

Charles Harris 'Islington', (Hamish Hamilton, 1974); Keith Sugden, 'History of Highbury, London' (1984); Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998)

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ318854 (531910,185460)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
Church
Site management:
Church
Date(s):
1847-48
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: Christ Church; Vicarage; Clock tower
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Highbury Fields
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.