fbpx

Inventory Site Record

St Joseph's Church and Retreat Gardens (Islington)

Brief Description

The Roman Catholic church of St Joseph was established at Highgate in 1858, the current church replacing the first church of 1859-61, to which St Joseph's Retreat was added in 1874-5 for the Fathers of the church. Terraced gardens were laid out below the Retreat, overlooked by the tall statue of St Joseph. The garden contains notable horse chestnut, oak and plane trees and remnants of terraces and steps.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
St Joseph's Retreat
Site location:
Dartmouth Park Hill/Highgate Hill
Postcode:
N19 5NE
What 3 Words:
valley.proper.fire
Type of site:
Private Garden
Borough:
Islington
Open to public?
Occasionally
Opening times:
Has opened for London Open House
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Upper Holloway. Tube: Archway (Northern) then bus. Bus:143, 210, 271, W5
Research updated:
01/09/2008
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stjosephshighgate.org.uk

Full Site Description

The parish of St Joseph was established in 1858 by the Roman Catholic Passionist Congregation, a monastic community. The original church of 1859-62 by E W Pugin was replaced by the current church of 1888/89, which was designed by architect Albert Vicars in a mixture of Romanesque and Byzantine styles. The Italianate interior has a fine baldachino over a high altar of Sicilian marble, with a vaulted ceiling of 250 hand-painted panels by Nathaniel Westlake. Its green-patinated copper dome is a landmark for miles around, 130 feet above the cross on the dome of St Paul's Cathedral (q.v.). South of the church is St Joseph's Retreat, built for the Fathers of the church in 1874-5, and resembling 'a rustic Italian villa' according to Nikolaus Pevsner. With panoramic views over London, below this are the remains of terraced gardens of the Retreat, raised above street level on the east and west sides. The OS Map of 1870-73 shows a formal layout of paths down the hill leading to St Joseph's RC Primary School, with a central avenue of trees. Although there are remnants of stone terraces and steps, the grounds were reduced by expansion of the school buildings in the latter C20th. The garden is overlooked from the top terrace by the large statue of St Joseph, which was erected in 1861, facing towards the south-east. There was an old burial ground on the site, and when this was built over the remains transferred to Islington Cemetery (q.v.).

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998), p661/2

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ288871 (528429,187310)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
Diocese of Westminster
Site management:
St Joseph's Retreat
Date(s):
1861
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII*: St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church. LBII: St Joseph's Retreat
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Highgate Hill & Hornsey Lane
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
Yes
Other LA designation:
Shopping Policy Area. Local Landmark

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.