Arundel and Elgin Communal Garden (Ladbroke Estate) * (Kensington & Chelsea)
* on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens
Arundel and Elgin Communal Garden is part of the Ladbroke Estate, laid out as a planned garden suburb with a coherent layout of concentric crescents and large communal gardens whose features were first suggested in a plan by architect and estate surveyor Thomas Allason in 1823. His scheme was later modified by others, including James Thomson, although Allason remained involved until his death in 1852. Building started in the 1840s; the outer concentric crescents date from the 1860s. During the lull in building development, the land was leased for a time for a racecourse, the Hippodrome, which operated from 1837-41. The garden has mature trees, shrubs and other planting, with a tall plane tree in the centre.
- Site location:
- Kensington Park Road/Ladbroke Grove
- W11 2ER
- Type of site:
- Garden Square
- Thomas Allason, architect and surveyor (overall plan of Ladbroke Estate)
- Listed structures:
- Kensington & Chelsea
- Site ownership:
- Site management:
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Has opened for OGSW. Otherwise private, for keyholders only
Has taken part in Open Garden Squares Weekend 17 times, most recently in 2016.
- Special conditions:
- Public transport:
- Tube: Ladbroke Grove (Hammersmith & City), Notting Hill Gate (District/Circle/Central). Bus 23, 52, 228, 452
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.arundelandelgingarden.org
Full Site Description
Ladbroke Estate: Site on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens, for Register Entry see https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list
The Ladbroke Estate was laid out as a planned garden suburb with a coherent layout of concentric crescents and large communal gardens whose features were first suggested in a plan by architect and estate surveyor Thomas Allason in 1823. His scheme was later modified by others, including James Thomson, although he remained involved until his death in 1852. Building started in the 1840s; the outer concentric crescents date from the 1860s. During the lull in building development, the land was leased for a time for a racecourse, the Hippodrome, which operated from 1837-41. After Allason's death, artist and designer Thomas Allom was responsible for the next phase of development.
Arundel and Elgin Communal Garden is bounded by terraced houses on Elgin Crescent, built 1852 to the north and Arundel Gardens, built 1862-3 to the south, as part of the residential development of Ladbroke Grove. Small private gardens lead to a broad level communal garden dominated by a huge central plane tree. The oval enclosure surrounded by privet hedge is flanked by lawns backed by beds of flowering shrubs. The complex mid C19th path layout has been simplified and some of the original internal railings survive. Today it is an informal garden with mature trees, plants and shrubs still laid out to the original Victorian design shown on an old map of 1862. Protected under 1851 Garden Square Act.
EH Register entry for Ladbroke Estate, 2002/3. See www.arundelandelgingarden.org
- Grid ref:
- TQ245810 (524565,180997)
- Size in hectares:
- On EH National Register :
- EH grade:
- Grade II
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Conservation Area name:
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Not known
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Yes - Borough Importance II
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Other LA designation:
Arundel & Elgin Gardens - Photo: Gavin Gardiner
Date taken: 14/06/09 15:24
Click photo to enlarge.