Inventory Site Record

Lennox Gardens (Kensington & Chelsea)

Brief Description

These private communal gardens were provided for residents of the houses that overlook it, which were built in c.1886 as part of the Smith's Charity Estate development. The Trustees of the Estate began building from 1823, appointing George Basevi as architect in 1828, subsequently Henry Clutton from 1845, later succeeded by Charles James Freake from 1865. Prior to this the site of Lennox Gardens had been that of Prince's Cricket Club, itself laid out on former nursery gardens, which was forced to close when the area was redeveloped.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Prince's Cricket Club
Site location:
Lennox Gardens
What 3 Words:
Type of site:
Garden Square
Kensington & Chelsea
Open to public?
Opening times:
private, for keyholders only
Special conditions:
Public transport:
Tube: Sloane Square, Knightsbridge
Research updated:
Last minor changes:

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Full Site Description

Lennox Gardens was laid out on land belonging to the Smith's Charity and was formerly the site of the Prince's Cricket Club established here in c.1870 by George and James Prince, who had founded the club in 1858. The cricket ground was laid out on the former Cattleugh's nursery gardens that were famous for their pines. The cricket club had a skating rink and racket courts as well as the cricket field and in 1870 had 700 members of the 'nobility and gentry', with exclusive membership and high charges. It was described in Wisden's Cricket Almanack of 1872 as 'grand and quick and one of the finest playing grounds in England'.

The Cadogan and Hans Place Improvement Act of 1874 led to the redevelopment of the area and the cricket club was forced to close in 1886, although the ground had probably been excavated the previous year. Lennox Gardens approximates the shape of the former cricket ground. The surrounding houses are a mixture of gothic and baroque detail. The central gardens were owned by the Trustees of the Smith's Charity Estate and managed by a garden committee with lessees paying a proportion of the cost of maintenance and railings repair. In 1928 it was described as surrounded by thick privet hedge and shrubs with ornamental garden and well-kept lawn.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; RBKC Hans Town Conservation Area Proposals Statement, 2000

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ275790 (527606,179001)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
Smith's Charity
Site management:
1870; 1886
Listed structures:
LBII: 1, 3 and 5, 2-8 (even), 17-43 (odd), 52 (Lennox Lodge) and 54 Lennox Gardens
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:


Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
In Conservation Area:
Conservation Area name:
Hans Town
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
Green Belt:
Metropolitan Open Land:
Special Policy Area:
Other LA designation:

Lennox Gardens

Lennox Gardens - Photo: Colin Wing
Date taken: 14/04/21 14:36

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.