fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Pont Street Shrubbery (Kensington & Chelsea)

Brief Description

Now publicly-accessible, this strip of garden was originally provided for the use of lessees of the adjoining houses. At one time within the Manor of Chelsea, land in the area was purchased by Sir Hans Sloane in 1712. On his death his estate was divided between his two daughters, the eastern part going to Elizabeth, becoming the Cadogan Estate on her marriage to Charles Cadogan. Cadogan began developing the 90-acre estate from the 1770s, which was to be called Hans Town. Although the railings have gone, Pond Street Shrubbery remains as a low raised pavement with crazy paving of York stone, and a number of plane trees.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Pont Street Gardens
Site location:
Pont Street/Cadogan Square, opposite Hans Place
Postcode:
SW1
What 3 Words:
stores.fires.gone
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Borough:
Kensington & Chelsea
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
none
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Knightsbridge (Piccadilly), Sloane Square (District, Circle)
Research updated:
01/05/2009
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cadogan.co.uk

Full Site Description

Part of the Cadogan Estate, this is a rare area of public landscaping along Pont Street, situated west of Sloane Street between Hans Place and Cadogan Square. At one time within the Manor of Chelsea, land in the area was purchased by Sir Hans Sloane in 1712; on his death his estate was divided between his two daughters, the eastern part going to Elizabeth, becoming the Cadogan Estate on her marriage to Charles Cadogan. With architect Henry Holland, Cadogan began developing the 90-acre estate from the 1770s, to be called Hans Town. Pont Street is shown on Bacon's Map of 1887 where the terrace of Nos. 31-39 Pont Street is set back behind a rectangular paved area with a number of mature plane trees, provided as an amenity to the lessees. In 1928 it was planted with shrubs and owned by Earl Cadogan and managed by the Trustees of the Cadogan Estate out of fees paid by adjoining lessees. Formerly railed it remains a low raised pavement with crazy paving of York stone, a number of plane trees, and newer planting to the west end.

Sources consulted:

Hans Town Conservation Area Proposals Statement, 2000; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ277791 (527740,179140)
Size in hectares:
0.0314
Site ownership:
The Cadogan Estate
Site management:
Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
Date(s):
1870s/80s
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: Nos 32-40 Pont Street
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Hans Town
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.