fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Guildhall Grounds (Kingston)

Brief Description

The Guildhall was on the site of the C18th Clattern House, which was next to the early C19th Assize Courts, both demolished in 1933. Used for municipal offices from 1891 Guildhall housed the library until 1903, when Kingston Library on Fairfield opened. A new larger Guildhall was built in 1935, and was further extended in 1968. The Guildhall Grounds are landscaped with grass, paths, shrub beds and trees. The ancient Coronation Stone surrounded by mid-C19th railings was moved to the Guildhall grounds in 1935 from the site south of Market Place where it had been set up in 1850. Nearby is the C12th Clattern Bridge over the Hogsmill River, which runs along one boundary of the grounds.

Practical Information
Site location:
High Street, Kingston
Postcode:
KT1
What 3 Words:
tender.next.orchestra
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Borough:
Kingston
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Kingston. Bus: 371, K1, 65.
Research updated:
01/04/2012
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.kingston.gov.uk/browse/environment/parks/recreation_sites

Full Site Description

By the 1930s the old Guildhall was found to be insufficient for the needs of the local authority. Both Clattern House and the Assize Court were then demolished in 1933 to make way for the new Guildhall, a fine brick and stone dressed building designed by Maurice Webb. It was opened in 1935 by Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone, Queen Victoria's grand-daughter. Kingston is known as the place where 7 Saxon kings were crowned, but the accuracy of the number of coronations is disputed. However, set into the plinth around the Coronation Stone is a silver penny noting the reign of each King. The Clattern Bridge is so named due the sound of horses' hooves and is still in use.

Sources consulted:

Tim Everson 'Kingston, Surbiton and Malden' Britain in Old Photographs, Sutton 1995 (reprint Budding Books 2000); Shaan Butters 'The Book of Kingston', Baron, 1995; Pevsner and Cherry, London 2: South, 1983

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ178690 (517900,169060)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
RB Kingston
Site management:
Grounds maintenance contractor: Quadron Services Ltd
Date(s):
1935
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBI: Coronation Stone, Clattern Bridge. LBII: Guildhall Main Building. SAM: Clattern Bridge
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Kingston Old Town
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Borough Importance I (Hogsmill Rover corrido
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Proposal Site. Green Chain (Hogsmill)
Photos

Guildhall Grounds

Guildhall Grounds - Photo: Colin Wing
Date taken: 11/04/21 14:15

Coronation Stone, reproduced in Edward Walford 'Greater London' vol 1, 1898
1898

Click a photo to enlarge.

More photos

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.