Inventory Site Record

King Edward's Recreation Ground (Kingston)

Brief Description

Formerly private land in agricultural use, the site was reserved for public open space when the small hamlet of Hook was growing as a result of the new railway line serving Surbiton in the C19th. Originally called Hook Recreation Ground, it was opened in May 1901 and renamed for the new King, Edward VII. In 1935 an adjoining plot of land to the north was donated and laid out as a rose garden commemorating George V's Silver Jubilee.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Hook Recreation Ground
Site location:
Hook Road, Chessington
What 3 Words:
Type of site:
Public Park
Open to public?
Opening times:
Special conditions:
no dogs in playground, bowling green, rose garden
Children's playground, tennis courts, cricket and football pitches, toilets. Hook and Southborough Bowling Club
Site for Annual Scout Fair
Public transport:
Rail: Surbiton, Chessington North then bus. Bus: K2, K4, 46.
Research updated:
Last minor changes:

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.kingston.gov.uk/browse/environment/parks/recreation_sites

Full Site Description

Hook was a small hamlet well into the C19th, with farm cottages and a few grand houses; development accelerated once the railway arrived and to the north Surbiton town grew, with Hook merging with Surbiton Borough Council in 1894. As the area around Hook Road was being developed for housing, the Council reserved 6 acres of land adjacent to the main road for a public recreation ground and set up a Committee to undertake this. It was formerly private land in agricultural use and an original boundary field hedge was left in the new recreation ground, which was opened by Lady Foley of Barwell Court on 28 May 1901. The recreation ground was first known as Hook Recreation Ground and later renamed for the new king, Edward VII. Cricket matches were played here from the outset. A drinking fountain was donated in 1906 by Francis Stephen Clayton who lived in Haycroft House, now built over by Ace Parade. A new parish hall, designed by C Marriner Mace, was built adjacent to the park in 1926.

In May 1935 Alderman Walter Morgan Willcocks presented a plot of land opposite Brockett House where he lived and to the north of the recreation ground for a garden in commemoration of George V's Silver Jubilee. This was laid out with lawns and rose beds, as well as a shelter and seats, and contains a number of specimen trees. Bounded by a hedge, the entrance is via a gate off the main path that runs west through the park from the main entrance at Hook Road, where there is a small area of raised beds. An avenue of trees flanks the path and trees are also planted along the Hook Road boundary. The Hook and Southborough Bowling Club, established in 1905, leases the bowling green.

Sources consulted:

Mark Davison, 'Hook Remembered', 1997; Marion C Bone, 'The Story of Hook in Kingston', Parochial Church Council, 1989

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ179650 (517950,165090)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
RB Kingston
Site management:
Grounds maintenance contractor: Quadron Services Ltd
Listed structures:
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:


Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
In Conservation Area:
Tree Preservation Order:
Nature Conservation Area:
Green Belt:
Metropolitan Open Land:
Special Policy Area:
Other LA designation:
part of Proposal Site 45

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.