St Andrew's Square Gardens (Kingston)
This is a comparatively rare example of a formal late Victorian square in a suburban setting. St Andrew's Church was built in 1871-2 and the terraces of houses developed between 1876-1884, although the western end was undeveloped until early C20th. The gardens, originally for the private use of residents, had three lawns and perimeter trees. Between 1932-1956 the layout was changed to provide allotment gardens at the west, tennis courts in the centre, with gardens retained at the east, but they later reverted to pleasure gardens. In 1972 the Borough Council compulsorily purchased the gardens and allowed public access.
- Site location:
- St Andrew's Square/Maple Road, Surbiton
- Type of site:
- Garden Square; Public Gardens
- Listed structures:
- LBII: St Andrew's Church
- Site ownership:
- RB Kingston
- Site management:
- Grounds maintenance contractor: Quadron Services Ltd
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Special conditions:
- dogs on leads
- Public transport:
- Rail: Surbiton. Bus: K3.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.kingston.gov.uk/browse/environment/parks/recreation_sites
- Grid ref:
- Size in hectares:
- On EH National Register :
- EH grade:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Conservation Area name:
- St Andrew's Square
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Other LA designation:
- Local Open Space (Public Open Space)
The development including the three tall, fussily ornamented terraces surrounding the garden were developed by Corbett and McClymont between 1876-1884. The western end of the square was undeveloped until the early C20th. St Andrew's Church to the north east was built in 1871-2, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield. The gardens were originally for the private use of the owners and tenants of the square, on payment of an annual contribution towards their upkeep. The original layout consisted of a rectilinear path network dividing the site into three lawns and perimeter trees and until WWII the gardens were enclosed with cast iron railings, more recently chain link fencing. Between 1932 - 1956 the layout was changed to provide allotment gardens at the western end, tennis courts in the centre, with gardens retained at the eastern end separated from the courts with a row of trees. They later reverted to pleasure gardens with a rectangular path, approached from gates at each side of the square.
St Andrew's Square was designated a Conservation Area in 1971 and in 1972 the Borough Council compulsorily purchased the gardens in order to enhance the conservation area, and allowed public access. Among the mature trees are fine London planes and there are groups of mature shrubs along the perimeter and adjoining the western and eastern pathways, as well as rose beds. Specimen trees have been planted within the lawns. In 1995 the Local Authority had put forward a request to redesign the square on the original Victorian lines.
RB Kingston notes for EH listing submission; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; RB Kingston Parks and Open Spaces Archive.