fbpx

Inventory Site Record

St Peter's Churchyard (Kingston)

Brief Description

St Peter's Church in Norbiton was the first of Gilbert Scott's seven Commissioners Churches, and opened in 1842. A yellow and white brick building in Norman style, St Peter's was not completed according to Scott's original designs due to lack of funds, and he was apparently displeased with it. In c.1869 the chancel and baptistery were added. A photograph of c.1900 shows the church with railings to the road, entrance gateway with overthrow flanked by stone piers, and the churchyard with evergreen and deciduous trees. The churchyard today is bounded by a wall, the railings and gateway no longer in place.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Norbiton Parish Church
Site location:
London Road/Cambridge Road, Norbiton
Postcode:
KT2 6QL
What 3 Words:
neat.admits.suffer
Type of site:
Churchyard
Borough:
Kingston
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Norbiton. Bus: 131, 726, 57, 85, 213
Research updated:
13/02/2023
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stpetersnorbiton.org.uk

Full Site Description

Norbiton Common was enclosed in 1808, the name Norbiton referring to the 'north enclosure', with Surbiton referring to the 'south enclosure'. It was made a separate parish from Kingston Parish Church of All Saints (q.v.) in the 1830s. St Peter’s Church is on part of the grounds formerly belonging to Norbiton Place and was built as a result of public subscription, supported by Queen Adelaide, widow of William IV. Forty three designs were submitted in response to an  advertisement, and the design put forward by Gilbert Scott (later Sir Giles) and Moffatt was selected. An abridged version proposing a pseudo Norman style to be carried out in grey yellow facing brickwork with stone dressings was finally adopted. The foundation stone was laid on 2 September 1840 and the completed building consecrated on 19 February 1842.

In c.1869 St Peter's church was extended eastwards when the present chancel was added, the original foundation stone removed from the old east wall and replaced in the new north wall of the chancel, with an additional stone commemorating the new work.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Tim Everson 'Kingston, Surbiton and Malden', Phillimore, 2000 ed.; https://southwark.anglican.org/church/norbiton-st-peter/; St Peter's Parish Profile (nd, c.2020)

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ189693 (518950,169350)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
Church
Site management:
Church
Date(s):
1841-2
Designer(s):
Church: Gilbert Scott & Moffatt
Listed structures:
LBII: St Peter's Church
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
Yes - Area pf Archaeological Significance
Other LA designation:
None
St Peter's Norbiton, photograph, c.1901/2.
1901

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.