fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Southborough House (remnant of Southborough Park estate) (Kingston)

Brief Description

Southborough House, originally known as Southborough Park and designed by John Nash in 1808, now stands in the middle of the Southborough Estate, which was developed between the 1890s and 1930s. In the grounds of Southborough House is a one-storey Summerhouse, possibly also by Nash; the garden today is 2/3 of an acre with vistas over the surrounding district. Southborough Lodge, formerly part of the outbuildings of Southborough Park, is now a separate dwelling as 16 Ashcombe Avenue, the division taking place sometime between 1934 and 1944. Part of the original carriage drive remains in front of Southborough House.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Southborough Park
Site location:
14 Ashcombe Avenue, Surbiton
Postcode:
KT6 6QA
What 3 Words:
aspect.shelf.heats
Type of site:
Private Garden
Borough:
Kingston
Open to public?
No
Opening times:
private
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Surbiton. Bus: 71, 465, K1, K4 (walk)
Research updated:
01/11/2016
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Full Site Description

Southborough House, formerly known as Southborough Park, was designed by architect John Nash and built for Thomas and Sarah Langley on part of the former Kingston Common.  The OS map of 1868 shows Southborough Park and Southborough Farm (now demolished) as the only properties within the boundaries of Brighton Road, Ditton Road, and the Portsmouth to London railway line. Southborough House, the one-storey Summerhouse in the garden to the west, and Southborough Lodge are the oldest buildings within the area. The Kingston upon Thames OS XIII.90 of c.1865 shows Southborough Park and its grounds, with gardens formally laid out, paths through the grounds and a circular carriage drive at the front of the property. 

Between 1880 and 1895, Langley Avenue and Corkran Road, previously an unmade road and track, were formed into good roads as land was sold off for housing development in large plots as part of the suburbanisation of Kingston. Southborough Park was purchased by James Cundy in 1885 on a generous plot; the gardener’s lodge built in 1884, and coachman’s lodge built  in 1891 remain at 25 Langley Avenue and 22 Corkran Road respectively.

Following the death of James Cundy in 1909, ownership of Southborough House passed to his widow, Elizabeth. Her objection to a proposed Town Planning Scheme announced in 1913 by Surbiton UDC led to a formal agreement being drawn up on 30 October 1913 between the UDC, Elizabeth Cundy and the mortgager of Southborough House (A F Hook) relating to all the land bounded by the north side of Langley Avenue, the west side of Corkran Road, the south of the properties in Lovelace Road and the boundary with Long Ditton. The agreement established that if any part of the Southborough estate was developed it should be within constraints to be incorporated in the deeds: any development was to be of detached and semi-detached houses to the value of £800 each and £1200 per pair respectively; the houses were to be set back 50 feet from Langley Road and 30 feet from Corkran Road; the construction of new roads was to be limited to one linking Corkran Road and Langley Avenue and one dissecting the remaining area; and no industrial uses, noxious uses, public house or off license were to be established. In 1920 following the death of Elizabeth Cundy all land was passed to the mortgager and subject to the agreement. Woodlands Road was developed linking Corkran Road and Langley Avenue, and was sold in plots to individuals as shown on the 1932 OS Map. The plots are narrower than those on Langley Avenue and Corkran Road, but still well-proportioned. Penton, a substantial house originally set in c.3.5 acres of land at 30 Woodlands Road, was built in 1930-32 for Thomas Henry Wilson, a surveyor and property developer. He named his family house Penton, after Penton Hook where he was a keen rower. The house remains largely unaltered, listed Grade II, although parts of the grounds have since been sold off.

By the 1950s, most of the development of Southborough Park Estate had taken place, with the exception of Malcolm Drive, Redwood Walk, Kirkleas Road and Copse Glade, and infilling of vacant plots or redevelopment of earlier buildings that continued intermittently.

Southborough House was on the market in 2016. 


Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; RB Kingston Conservation Area Appraisal, Southborough (May 2009); Historic England listed building entries for 1080088, 1080089, 1080090; https://media.onthemarket.com/properties/3194476/doc_0_0.pdf; Comments by Sara Wilce on HE listed building entry for Penton,1391068.

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ178664 (517916,166482)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
private
Site management:
Date(s):
1808
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: Southborough House, Summerhouse to west of house
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Southborough
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.