Inventory Site Record

Lewisham Memorial Gardens

Lewisham Memorial Gardens (Lewisham)

Brief Description

Lewisham Memorial Gardens is an area of formal planting either side of the WWI War Memorial that was unveiled and dedicated in May 1921. It now commemorates Lewisham's dead of both world wars. The memorial is hedged by yew and the symmetrically laid-out garden has concrete crazy paved paths and yew hedges surrounding formal beds with seat niches, some now empty of seats. There are bedding displays and raised planted areas, ornamental evergreens and shrubs. At the south end, near a raised planted shield, is an Indian cedar tree planted on 28 March 1985 by the Mayor of Lewisham to celebrate the 40th anniversary of end of WWII and the formation of United Nations. Along Lewisham High Street are London plane trees behind a low wall.

Practical Information
Site location:
Lewisham High Street/Lewisham Park
Postcode:
SE13
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Borough:
Lewisham
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Ladywell. Bus: 47, 54, 75, 136, 185, 199, 208, 284

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lewisham.gov.uk

Full Site Description

The site for the War Memorial was donated by the Earl of Dartmouth and the Lewisham Park Trustees. The foundation stone was laid in November 1920 by the Mayor of Lewisham and the memorial was unveiled on 7 May 1921, a stone obelisk designed by E A Stone. It commemorated some 1500 of the 1/4th London Brigade RFA and 20th Battalion London Regiment whose headquarters were situated in the Borough. Two stone piers on either side of the monument have the inscription that they 'were erected in memory of officers and men of the 11th Lewisham Battalion of the Royal West Kent Regiment who fell in the Great War'. A plaque was added for WWII and unveiled on 11 November 1949 by Councillor G R D Bradfield.

Sources consulted:

R.R.C Gregory & F W Nunn, 'The Story of Lee ( London, 1923); Kentish Mercury, 16 April 1920 p4, 23 April 1920 p9 and 13 May 1921 p7; Lewisham Journal, 11 November 1943; London Borough of Lewisham War Memorial Wiki at http://lewishamwarmemorials.wikidot.com

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ379746
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Lewisham
Site management:
Parks Department, contracted to Glendale Grounds Management
Date(s):
1921
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

To be checked

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
Yes - Area of Archaeological Priority
Other LA designation:
None

Page Top