fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Sir Joseph Hood Memorial Playing Fields and Memorial Wood (Merton)

Brief Description

The site, once part of the estate of Morden Manor, was acquired in 1931 by Merton and Morden UDC and transferred by way of a conveyance 24th October 1935. The Sir Joseph Hood Memorial Playing Fields were opened as a public amenity and named in memory of Sir Joseph Hood, MP, former Mayor of Wimbledon and a local benefactor. Part of the site is largely grassed and used as playing fields, with a bowling green and 1950s pavilion fronted by rose gardens in the north. To the west a path leads to the Sir Joseph Hood Memorial Wood, which was established as a nature reserve in 1994. The Beverley Brook runs through the woodland. In 2000/2001 10,000 trees were planted as a Millennium Wood adjacent to the wood and to the south of the Playing Fields.

Practical Information
Site location:
Marina Avenue, off West Barnes Lane
Postcode:
KT3 6NG
What 3 Words:
name.league.scales
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Merton
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
8am (weekdays)/9am (weekends & Bank Hols) - dusk
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Play area, Crazy Golf, tennis courts, football pitches, Trim Trails, paddling pool (summer holidays), toilets, cafe, car park
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Motspur Park. Bus: K5
Research updated:
01/11/2011
Last minor changes:
20/11/2025

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.merton.gov.uk/environment/openspaces/parks/parks_in_the_morden_area

Full Site Description

At the time of the Reformation, the whole area, consisting of woods, arable and pasture land, belonged to the Priory of Merton. From the early 16th century, and probably long before, an area between the Beverley Brook and the village of Lower Morden formed Hobald’s Farm. It was bought by the Garths, Lords of the Manor of Morden, before 1611. The Memorial Wood was originally planted in the 1860s, in all likelihood as a hunting covert for the Garth family, Lords of the Manor of Morden, since there were dog kennels near here. The site consists of woodland, some areas of grassland and the Beverley Brook, which forms the boundary with Kingston borough.

Until 1990 the wood was inaccessible to the public and designated a bird reserve.  As the fencing was being breached regularly, it was decided to allow pedestrian access by the children’s play area. An additional permissive access path and small railway sleeper bridge were installed in 2005 to the southern end of the playing fields. This permissive path (shut for short periods in December) now allows for circular access around the woodland. The woodland overlooked from the west by two gas holders, it was established as a nature reserve in 1994 and contains fine trees including mature oaks.  The wood was extended by community planting as a Millennium project. The wood is 3.78 hectares.

The remainder of the site consists of playing fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, crazy golf (on what was formerly a bowling green) and a children's playground with a paddling pool and picnic table.  There is also a pavilion with changing rooms, toilets, and a community room (with regular users including a Children's playgroup).  A cafe opens in the summer.  The park is sometimes colloquially referenced as 'Sir Joe'.The old rose beds in front of the pavilion were replaced by two new shrub beds in 2005. A new border was planted in 2006 adjacent to the car park. The Friends planted daffodil bulbs and the 22nd Wimbledon Beaver Cub Scouts planted wild flower seeds on the eastern boundary in 2006.

The Friends of Sir Joseph Hood has been involved in the development, improvement, maintenance and management of site since their formation in 2003. The land was transferred with the full right for the Council and its successors in title and people authorized by it to have access to the land. The conveyance is subject to a number of covenants including a requirement that the Council will maintain the property as a playing field and recreation ground. The property also has the benefit of a Deed of Grant dated 18 February 1935, which was assigned to the Council by Dame Roney (the previous landowner).

Sources consulted:

Ian Yarham, Dave Dawson, Martin Boyle, Rebecca Holliday 'Nature Conservation in Merton, Ecology Handbook 29', London Ecology Unit, 1998, p68; Alan Scott, London Conservation Services report for LB Merton 'Management Plan for Sir Joseph Hood Memorial Playing Fields 2007-2012' (2006), Sir Joseph Hood Memorial Playing Field Management Plan 2016 – 2023 (Updated 20200 [Accessed online 30 October 2025]

Maps: Surrey XIII.6 Published 1935 (25 inch) [accessed via National Library of Scotland online 30 October 2025]

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ226671 (522650,167150)
Size in hectares:
12.75 (Playing Fields)
Site ownership:
LB Merton
Site management:
Leisure and Culture Services; Friends of Sir Joseph Hood Memorial Playing Fields
Date(s):
1931
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Borough Importance II (Wood only)
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
Yes
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Local Nature Reserve (wood). Public Open Space (Recreation Ground). Green Corridor

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.