fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Barkingside Recreation Ground (Redbridge)

Brief Description

Barkingside was part of the municipal borough of Ilford, which once lay within the large estate lands belonging to Barking Abbey. In the 1880s the hamlet consisted of a few houses and cottages, the church, public houses and the charitable institution of Dr Barnardo, but even into the 1920s the area was quite rural. Barkingside Recreation Ground dates from the early C20th. Near the entrance on Cranbrook Road is a drinking fountain presented in 1906 by Cllr W P Griggs, JP and Chairman of Ilford UDC's Parks Committee.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Cranbrook Park
Site location:
Cranbrook Road/Mossford Green, Barkingside, Ilford
Postcode:
IG6
What 3 Words:
event.paths.later
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Redbridge
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
Daily 8am-dusk (check site owner for closing time); closed Christmas Day
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Children's play areas, 2 cricket pitches, 2 football pitches, tennis courts, toilets. Barkingside Cricket Club
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Barkingside (Central). Bus: 129, 150, 167, 247, 275.
Research updated:
01/09/2010
Last minor changes:
14/07/2022

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.redbridge.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Barkingside was part of the municipal borough of Ilford, which once lay within the large estate lands belonging to Barking Abbey. Its position in relation to the Hainault Forest may have been the reason for the name Barkingside despite its distance from Barking. In the 1880s the hamlet consisted of a few houses and labourers' cottages, the church, public houses and the charitable institution of Dr Barnardo, but even into the 1920s the surrounding area was quite rural. Barkingside station opened in 1903. Barkingside Recreation Ground was originally called Cranbrook Park, and dates from c.1906. Near the entrance on Cranbrook Road is a drinking fountain that was presented in 1906 to Cranbrook Park by Cllr W P Griggs, JP and Chairman of Ilford UDC's Parks Committee. The park had a children's playground and was the venue for regular local flower shows in the 1940s (and later?). The park is largely laid to grass with perimeter trees, and retains its iron railings and gates.

Sources consulted:

Edward Walford, 'Village London, the Story of Greater London, Part 2 - North and East', first published 1883/4 (1985 ed., The Alderman Press); Helen Finch 'Barkingside Memories' , 2005

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ442897 (544097,189680)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Redbridge
Site management:
Vision Redbridge Culture and Leisure Ltd
Date(s):
early C20th
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Local Open Space

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.