fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Clayhall Park (Redbridge)

Brief Description

Clayhall Park is on former land of the Manor of Clay Hall, which was broken up in 1927. First mentioned in 1203, it probably remained in ownership of the de la Claie or Clay family until 1313 and then passed through various owners. The manor house, which must have once been a substantial building, was demolished in the mid C18th and replaced by a farmhouse. The park opened to the public in 1934 and the farmhouse, outbuildings and chapel were demolished in 1935. The large, flat park is interspersed with sycamore, ash, oak, lime and horse chestnut avenue.

Practical Information
Site location:
Woodford Avenue/Longwood Gardens, Ilford
Postcode:
IG5
What 3 Words:
lift.stroke.itself
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Redbridge
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
Daily 8am-dusk (check site owner for closing time); closed Christmas Day
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Tennis courts, cricket pitches, football pitches, children's play areas, bowling green (Clayhall Bowls Club)
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Gants Hill (Central). Bus: 123, 179,251, 462.
Research updated:
01/09/2010
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.redbridge.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Clayhall Park was formed upon the manor of Clay Hall, which was broken up in 1927. The Manor of Clayhall was first mentioned in 1203 when it was a free tenement held of Barking Abbey. It probably remained in the de la Claie/Clay family until 1313 when it was sold to Walter de Basingge. Various owners ensued and in 1410 John Tiltesbury of London, a skinner, and his wife Margaret conveyed the Manor of Clayhall to William and John de Fynd(ere?) and others, which appears to be the first time the manor was thus named. By the 1760s the estate was being let to tenant farmers but in the C17th the manor house was probably a considerable building since it was the residence of rich and titled owners. The house was demolished in the mid C18th and replaced by a farmhouse. The park opened to the public in 1934 and the Manor House farmhouse, outbuildings and chapel were demolished in 1935. The large, flat park is interspersed with sycamore, ash, oak, lime and horse chestnut. It has early C20th railings and gates (stamped ‘Croggan London’) opening onto Longwood Gardens. Of fairly recent date is a circular slightly sunken garden area in the centre of four long covered walkways or pergolas in cruciform shape.

Sources consulted:

A History of Clayhall; Victoria County History

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ428893 (542850,189350)
Size in hectares:
14
Site ownership:
LB Redbridge
Site management:
Vision Redbridge Culture and Leisure Ltd
Date(s):
1934
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Local Importance
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Local Open Space
Clayhall Park c.1950s. Courtesy Redbridge Local Studies & Archives.
1950
Clayhall Park 1930s. Courtesy Redbridge Local Studies & Archives.
1930

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.