fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Elmhurst (Redbridge)

Brief Description

Elmhurst, an C18th house with an area of garden to the front, is a fragment of a gentleman's estate. It was originally known as Grove House, having been built to the designs of Joel Johnson of Walthamstow in 1771 by Sylvanus Grove who came to Woodford in 1770. It was later owned by a Quaker tea merchant, Smith Harrison, whose wife Jane was a sister of Lord Lister. Part of the estate was separated from the house when the railway came through the area and was later laid out as a public park, Elmhurst Gardens. The large front garden had two stone urns and was largely lawn with some shrubs and notable trees, including cedar and horse chestnuts; a C20th red brick wall divided the property from High Road. A photograph of c.1900 shows the house front with the cedar tree relatively unchanged. By 1939 it was in use as a hostel, and tennis courts had been built behind the house, and it later became a conference centre connected to Queen Mary College. Elmhurst was sold for residential development with the house converted as part restaurant and part offices. 

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Elmhurst; Grove House; Elmhurst Conference Centre
Site location:
98 High Road, South Woodford
Postcode:
E18
What 3 Words:
lifted.curve.about
Type of site:
Private Garden
Borough:
Redbridge
Open to public?
to check
Opening times:
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: South Woodford (Central). Bus: 179, W12, W13, W14.
Research updated:
29/07/2022
Last minor changes:
29/07/2022

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Full Site Description

To check current use of building since re-development, including access to grounds.

Sources consulted:

Peter Lawrence and Georgina Green, Woodford, A Pictorial History, Phillimore, 1995; LB Redbridge, South Woodford Conservation Area Appraisal and Enhancement Scheme, April 2002

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ401905 (540150,190550)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
to check current owner
Site management:
Date(s):
C18th
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: Elmhurst
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
South Woodford
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Proposal/Preference Site

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.