Inventory Site Record

Goodmayes Hospital (Redbridge)

Brief Description

Goodmayes Hospital is the former West Ham Asylum, which was opened in 1901 by Cllr Abednigo Bishop, Mayor of West Ham Borough Council. Built on an eminence facing south, the Asylum gave views to Ilford and the building was lit by Ilford Council’s Generating Station. The main hospital is surrounded on the east, south and west by a large heart-shaped terrace with a low brick perimeter wall and the approach is from the south-east in Barley Lane where there is a late C19th lodge, with iron screen and gates opening to the landscaped drive. The perimeter wall of the airing courts remains. A short horse chestnut avenue to the south of the main building dates from c.1900 and the grounds contain notable robinia, horse chestnut, holly and ash, with an understorey of rhododendron and holly in the gardens. Also within the hospital grounds are playing fields and the remains of a recreation ground adjacent to the Happy Valley, a wooded dell along the west side of the hospital ground near Aldborough Road.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
West Ham Asylum
Site location:
Barley Lane, Little Heath, Ilford
What 3 Words:
Type of site:
Institutional Grounds
Open to public?
Opening times:
private, but unrestricted
Special conditions:
sports field
Public transport:
Rail: Goodmayes then bus. Tube: Newbury Park (Central), then walk. Bus: 387, 66, 296, 396.
Research updated:
Last minor changes:

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.nelft.nhs.uk

Full Site Description

Designed to accommodate 350 males and 450 females with a staff of 100, the building plan and general layout of Goodmayes Hospital is similar to that of Claybury Asylum, the site of which is now a gated housing estate, Repton Park, with part of the grounds now a public park, Claybury Woods and Park (q.v.). King George Hospital is adjacent to the north. Seven Kings Water followed the valley, part of which was included in the Recreation Ground when this was built. The Happy Valley is scheduled to be replanted as a woodland.

Goodmayes Hospital became North East London Mental Health Trust in 2001 and in 2008 became North East London NHS Foundation Trust (NELFT), from July 2009, providing community-based family health services. It continues to provide mental health and community services for people living in Waltham Forest, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham and Havering.

Sources consulted:

Don Hewson, Chadwell Heath and the Road to Romford Market, (Alan Sutton Publishing Ltd, 1995); Arthur Mee, 'The King's England: London North of the Thames except the City and Westminster', (Hodder & Stoughton, 1972)

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ463886 (546350,188650)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
North East London NHS Foundation Trust
Site management:
1898 - 1901
Listed structures:
Local list: Goodmayes Hospital and peripheral buildings
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:


Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
In Conservation Area:
Tree Preservation Order:
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Borough Importance I (part of site)
Green Belt:
Metropolitan Open Land:
Special Policy Area:
Yes - (part) Archaeology Priority Area
Other LA designation:
Strategic Footpath along west boundary

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.