fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Seven Kings Park (Redbridge)

Brief Description

The Seven Kings area had developed rapidly after the Great Eastern Railway opened the station here. Originally called Seven Kings and Goodmayes Recreation Ground, the park was opened in 1902, laid out on land donated to the borough in 1900 by A. Cameron Corbett, who developed much of Ilford and later became Lord Rowallan. The house of Downshall Farm was demolished to make way for the park and the surrounding estate was developed c.1914. Among facilities provided in Seven Kings Park were an ornate bandstand and bowling green, both of which remain, together with formal planting in a symmetrical layout of beds, largely roses, some trees and shrubs.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Seven Kings and Goodmayes Recreation Ground
Site location:
Aldborough Road South, Ilford, Essex
Postcode:
IG3
What 3 Words:
safe.valid.joins
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Redbridge
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
Daily 8am-dusk (check site owner for closing time); closed Christmas Day
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Basketball, bowling green (Seven Kings Bowling Club), children's play area, 3 cricket pitches, 3 football pitches, skate park, tennis courts, toilets
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Newbury Park (Central). Rail: Seven Kings. Bus:364 (then walk)
Research updated:
01/09/2010
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.redbridge.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Seven Kings Park is a municipal park formed on the banks of the Seven Kings Water on 3.6 hectares of land donated to the borough in 1900 by A. Cameron Corbett, the Glasgow MP and developer, who developed much of Ilford, and later became Lord Rowallan. The park opened in 1902. The Seven Kings area developed quickly when the railway arrived and Great Eastern Railway opened the station. The house of Downshall Farm was demolished to make way for the park. The surrounding estate was developed c.1914. Seven Kings Park is a large flat park with walks lined with regular rows of ash, hawthorn and cherry (c.1930). Among facilities were a bandstand and bowling green, with formal planting consisting of a symmetrical layout of beds, largely roses, some trees and shrubs. The park today has notable robinia, birch, poplar and lime trees; rose garden; bowling green; pavilions and sport pitches. It is adjacent to Goodmayes Hospital (q.v.) and Ford's Sports Ground.

Sources consulted:

Alan A Jackson, 'Semi-detached London' (Wild Swan, 2nd ed. 1991); Ilford Past and Present; Victoria County History

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ459882 (545950,188250)
Size in hectares:
13.77
Site ownership:
LB Redbridge
Site management:
Vision Redbridge Culture and Leisure Ltd
Date(s):
1902
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
Yes
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Local Open Land. Strategic Footpaths and Horse rides
Seven Kings Park, Bandstand c.1980s. Courtesy Redbridge Local Studies & Archives.
1980
Seven Kings Park, c.1970s. Courtesy Redbridge Local Studies & Archives.
1970
Seven Kings Park, c.1950s. Courtesy Redbridge Local Studies & Archives.
1950

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.