fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Weavers' Almshouses (Redbridge)

Brief Description

The Weavers' Almshouses at Wanstead were built in 1857-9, designed by Joseph Jennings. They were rebuilt in 1975, retaining their original appearance, by F G Dobson and H M Grellier & Son at which time a parallel range was added behind, with an area of landscaped garden between the two. The almshouse originated from two foundations, the oldest in Shoreditch of 1670 and another of Spitalfields of 1729. The two-storey range has a taller central clock turret with the Weavers' motto 'Weave Truth with Trust' inscribed and a plaque 'The Almshouses of the Worshipful Company of Weavers, 1851, formerly in Porters Fields and Old Street Road Shoreditch'. The buildings are fronted by a garden with hedge to the road, and has a number of mature trees.

Practical Information
Site location:
New Wanstead/Chestnut Drive, Wanstead
Postcode:
E11 2SZ
What 3 Words:
combining.needed.mice
Type of site:
Private Garden
Borough:
Redbridge
Open to public?
No
Opening times:
private
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Snaresbrook, Wanstead
Research updated:
01/09/2006
Last minor changes:
14/07/2022

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.weavers.org.uk/almshouses

Full Site Description

Edward Walford describes the Weavers' Charity as founded in 1725 for 'twelve poor freemen and twelve widows' who were 'transferred hither about 1860 from the densely crowded neighbourhood of Potter's Field and Old Street Road, London' (Village London).

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry, Charles O'Brien, Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 5: East', Yale University Press, 2005 p352; Ian Dowling and Nick Harris, Images of London: Wanstead and Woodford, Tempus Publishing 2003, p42; Edward Walford, 'Village London, the Story of Greater London, Part 2 - North and East', first published 1883/4 (1985 ed., The Alderman Press) p473

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ400881 (540050,188150)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
The Worshipful Company of Weavers
Site management:
The Worshipful Company of Weavers
Date(s):
1857-9
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: Weavers' Almshouses
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.