Cambridge Gardens, including Warren Footpath (Richmond)
Cambridge Gardens was laid out on the former grounds of Cambridge House, itself once part of a C17th riverside estate. In 1751 the house and parkland were purchased by Richard Owen Cambridge and was renamed Cambridge House after he died in 1802. The estate was later divided in 1835 when his son sold the main house and land to Henry Bevan who modernised the house, built a large conservatory and embellished the grounds. After Sir Edward Dean Paul inherited the estate he aggravated Twickenham Local Board by erecting railings each side of the towpath to prevent people crossing his lawns until an agreement of 1887 led to creation of a 12ft wide footpath, maintained by the Board.
- Previous / Other name:
- Cambridge House; Twickenham Meadows
- Site location:
- Clevedon Road, Twickenham
- TW1 2TA
- Type of site:
- Public Gardens
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Mon - Sat: 7.30am - dusk/Sun & Bank Hols: 9am - dusk
- Special conditions:
- Tennis court, play areas, refreshments
- Public transport:
- Rail/London Overground/Tube (District): Richmond then bus. Bus: 33, 490, H22, R68, R70 R68, R70, 33, 290
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2015
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.richmond.gov.uk/parks_and_open_spaces
Full Site Description
The site was once part of a large riverside estate where in c.1616 Sir Humphrey Lynd had built a mansion near Richmond Ferry; by the end of the C17th the grounds had been enlarged by Sir Joseph Ashe. In 1751 the house, called Twickenham Meadows, was purchased with 74 acres of parkland by Richard Owen Cambridge and the house was given the name Cambridge House after he died in 1802. His son Revd George Owen Cambridge, Archdeacon of Middlesex, inherited the property and leased it to Lord Mount Edgcumbe, moving to another villa, Meadowbank, which he had built south of Cambridge House in c.1824. The Cambridge House estate was divided in 1835 when the Archdeacon sold the main house and 30 acres to Henry Bevan. Bevan commissioned Lewis Vulliamy to enlarge and modernise the house, with a large conservatory built at the south end, and the grounds were embellished and lavishly praised by William Keane in 'The Beauties of Middlesex'. A large kitchen garden was established to the west of the house.
At Bevan's death in 1860, Cambridge House was inherited by his eldest daughter Lady Caroline Mary Chichester. After her death in 1883 her nephew Edward Dean Paul, later Sir Edward, inherited the estate but soon aggravated the Twickenham Local Board by erecting railings on each side of the river towpath to prevent people crossing his lawns. An agreement was reached in 1887 and the Board created a footpath 12 ft wide alongside which Sir Edward erected iron railings, with maintenance of the footpath undertaken by the Board. This later became known as the Warren Footpath, running from Orleans Road to Richmond Bridge; it was opened in June 1923 by the Duke of York, later George VI, when a promenade with seating had been raised to avoid flooding.
After Sir Edward's death in 1895 his will stipulated his wish for Cambridge House to be sold. The 30 acre estate was purchased in 1897 by builder Henry Cresswell Foulkes, who kept the house, immediate grounds and lawns to the river but began plans to build over the remaining parkland. In 1907 building began on Clevedon Road, separating the house from the riverside. By 1908 160 houses, 7 blocks of flats and 54 shops with living accommodation had been erected but Foulkes was then bankrupted. Cambridge House became the Middlesex County Club and was then sold for The Cambridge House Residential Hotel in 1915 but it was eventually demolished in 1937. The land to the south of the present gardens became The Sports-Drome, an ice rink open from 1928-1932. It was re-opened in 1934 by Claude Langdon and developed into Richmond Ice Rink, a large facility with indoor golf range, outside bowling green, two tennis courts, pitch and putt course and children's playground with tea gardens onto the river. It was purchased in the 1980s by the London and Edinburgh Trust for housing development.
Maureen Bunch, 'Cambridge Park East Twickenham, The Building of a Suburb', Twickenham Local History Society, 1992
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- Size in hectares:
- Site ownership:
- LB Richmond
- Site management:
- Environment Planning and Review, Parks and Open Spaces
- Listed structures:
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Conservation Area name:
- to check
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Not known
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Yes - Thames Policy Area
- Other LA designation:
- Proposed environmental improvement