Inventory Site Record

Holly Road Garden of Rest

Holly Road Garden of Rest (Richmond)

Brief Description

From 1782 Holly Road Burial Ground served the parish of St Mary, Twickenham but was full by 1835 at which point Oak Lane Cemetery was opened. It was officially closed in 1868 although some burials in family graves continued until c.1875. In 1930 196 monuments and tombstones naming 450 people could be read, but there were probably many more burials than this. In 1953 the burial ground was laid out as a public garden and called Holly Road Garden of Rest. It was later restored and replanted in 1991.

Practical Information
Site location:
Holly Road, Twickenham
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Open to public?
Opening times:
Mon - Sat: 7.30am - dusk/Sun & Bank Hols: 9am - dusk
Special conditions:
Play areas
Public transport:
Rail: Twickenham. Bus: 267, 281, 290, 490, R68, R70

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Full Site Description

Among those buried are Robert Burt (d.1791), Vicar of Twickenham who married Mrs Fitzherbert and the Prince of Wales in 1785; Thomas Twining (d.1861), founder of Twining's Tea, and other members of the Twining family; William, 5th Viscount Howe, a professional soldier who served with distinction in America at the siege of Louisburg and the capture of Quebec in 1759 and was Commander-in-Chief of the British Army during the first part of the American War of Independence. He became MP for Nottingham from 1758-1780, Governor of Berwick-upon-Tweed in 1795 and from 1805 until his death in 1814 was Governor of Plymouth. His wife Frances is also buried here, the daughter of Lady Anne Connolly of Twickenham.

Holly Road Garden of Rest has iron railings and hedges on two sides, the other two boundaries being high brick walls, along which gravestones are lined. A number of chest tombs remain in the garden, which has grass, paths and seating and a railed children's playground. There are numerous shrubs including yew, holly and some fine trees including two Pride of India. The main entrance has brick piers surmounted with stone balls, and a plaque records the history of the burial ground.

Sources consulted:

Site history information panel in garden; LB Richmond Parks booklet

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Richmond
Site management:
Environment Planning & Review, Parks and Open Spaces
1782; 1953
Listed structures:
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:


Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
In Conservation Area:
Conservation Area name:
Queen's Road (Twickenham)
Tree Preservation Order:
Nature Conservation Area:
Green Belt:
Metropolitan Open Land:
Special Policy Area:
Other LA designation:
Open Land of Townscape Importance

Page Top