Michel's Almshouses (Richmond)
Michel's Almshouses were established in 1695 by Humphrey Michel, the original block of 10 almshouses fronting The Vineyard. They were rebuilt in 1810/11 and are 2-storey, brick buildings with pitched slate roofs comprised of 2 ranges, with a central pediment over a slightly advanced centre with a cartouche containing a carved coat of arms above a large stone inscription. A later block of 6 additional almshouses was built at right angles in 1858-60, similar in appearance including the front wall, railings and entrance gates. The gardens to the front have trees, mixed shrub and flower borders and have won Gold in the Richmond in Bloom communal building category on a number of occasions.
- Site location:
- The Vineyard, Richmond
- Type of site:
- Private Garden
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Has opened for OGSW. Otherwise private, for residents only
Has taken part in Open Garden Squares Weekend 2 times, most recently in 2012.
- Special conditions:
- Public transport:
- Rail/London Overground/Tube (District): Richmond then bus. Bus: 33, 65, 337, 371, R70, R68
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.therichmondcharities.co.uk
Full Site Description
In addition to owning property in The Vineyard, the Michel charity owned property in Maiden Lane, which now forms part of the Adelphi Theatre. On his uncle's death, John Michel gave another endowment to the charity, and in 1727 William Smithet bequeathed three houses and land in Kew Foot Road and Michel's Row, Rosedale Road and Benn's Cottages were built there. Six almshouses were built on the site of Benn's Cottages in 1983, known as Benn's Walk.
Richmond Charities' Almshouses notes, provided for Open Garden Squares Weekend, 2009
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- TQ180745 (518024,174527)
- Size in hectares:
- Site ownership:
- The Richmond Charities
- Site management:
- Contractor: Bridges Landscaping
- 1695; 1811
- Listed structures:
- LBII: Michel's Almshouses, and front wall, railings and entrance gates
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Conservation Area name:
- Richmond Hill
- Tree Preservation Order:
- To be checked
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Other LA designation:
Michel's Almshouses - Photo: Colin Wing
Date taken: 29/05/09 09:47
Click a photo to enlarge.